Considering a Colostomy: Seeking Advice

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic provides advice and support for individuals considering a colostomy, with community members sharing their experiences and insights.
Hcbaggie

Hi all, new member here. I am 55 and suffer from bowel urgency after the sacral nerve implant didn't work. I have been told a colostomy is the only thing that will help or wearing pads for the rest of life. I would have no doubts if it was for a life-threatening reason but it's not. Has anyone else in here had the same issue?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

I decided on a stoma after the sacral nerve implant failed for me too. 
 However, there were other factors to be considered as I also had an anal prolapse, which resulted in a lot of pain and discomfort with incontinence. For many years the management of my stoma has been much more efficient than the conditions I had previously. 

I would not have said that my previous conditions were life-threatening, so in that sense I can identify with your situation 
Everyone is different,  but my own experience has been one where , although I did not 'want' a stoma, the decision to have one has made life a lot more bearable.

Best wishes  with your own decision making 

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Hcbaggie
Reply to Bill

Thank you, that is a real help. I am leaning towards getting one as I can't go anywhere without panicking, and my nearest supermarket is 30 miles away. Not ideal.

CrappyColon

It sounds like you'd have more freedom with the colostomy than with how things are now. I had all my abdominal colon removed and an ileostomy so not the same, but mine wasn't at emergency timing yet. The doctors felt I would do better recovery-wise if I was able to decide on the time myself. I did ask how long my window was of deciding myself, it was under a year. But I was only eating maybe every 3 days at that point which sometimes meant a real meal, sometimes it meant a pack of goldfish crackers. Once I said okay let's do this, I found out the surgeon had already made a surgery plan after my first appointment with her because she knew my colon wasn't going to get better.
There's a learning curve to having an ostomy, but you'll become an expert at it before you know it if you choose to go that route. Wishing you the best for whatever you choose

Hcbaggie
Reply to CrappyColon

Thanks

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
IGGIE

Go for the Stoma. You will not regret it.

Hcbaggie
Reply to IGGIE

I think that's what I'm going to go for.