No colon= loud small intestine?

Replies
Views
CrappyColon

Does anyone else whose colon has been removed from your body find that your small intestine is really loud now? I'm not talking gas noises either, it's just loud and comes out of nowhere.

Here's one theory I have: When the colon was there surrounding the small intestine, it muffled noises.

Another theory: The small intestine is just a whole new beast now since it's had to take over a job that it was not originally designed to do (like absorbing water).

Axl

Nope, quiet as a mouse and always had been. Find yourself a length of rope and some sun block and some steel capped boots, go out to the yard and hang by your feet for a few hours naked from a tree. Take your phone with you and put some dance music on and sort of jiggle upside down to the music, see if you can relocate your small intestine for different result, keep us updated regarding results.

Axl

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,456 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ron in mich

Hi CCD, funny you mentioned this as last evening while watching a baseball game, my innards gave a rumbling gurgle and my dog, who was sleeping, looked up at me like, "What the hell was that?"

CrappyColon
Reply to ron in mich

You know if the dog hears it, it definitely happened. I don't know what to do to make my small intestine happy. And there's no warning/feeling when mine is about to speak.

Important question, were you watching the Tigers? I know Cleveland was playing yesterday (my son is still upset they changed their name to the Guardians... I said but look the ending sound and last 5 letters are the same - I tried - didn't work).

IGGIE

Mine isn't so bad. It can fart and rumble a little, but it's not worth getting a muffler for it.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
CrappyColon
Reply to IGGIE

Mine is loud enough to have people in a classroom notice

IGGIE

Then in your case, definitely a muffler. I don't want to be there when they're fitting it though.

CrappyColon
Reply to Axl

I have so many thoughts about this I'm not sure where to start...

1) I live in the suburbs so surrounded by neighbors, and the guy behind my house and I talked a lot over the fence during the first year of Covid.
2) I don't know what it would be called in Australia but we call them 'monkey bars' - I could hang upside down from those and not fall as far, but maybe another good concussion could fix my brain/gut connection. I do know which tree branch could hold me because I had a tree guy help hang my kids' swing when he was here cutting down some trees and my husband was the weight test.
3) Not sure the benefit of doing the activity naked. Few problems with that part of the idea: neighbors, I have a teenage son and there's always other teenage boys around, I have a daughter and I don't want her to think that's a good idea, and pretty sure I would get CPS called on me for that. 4) Mosquitoes and pollen are not my friends.

So I think I'll try the trampoline first, but I do have a hammock chair and my son does pull ups on the steel frame. So I could hang from that and just fall into the chair part, provided I get the angle right to avoid breaking my neck. Fully clothed though.

Thanks for thinking 'out of the box' for me. Ideas always appreciated, helpful or not.

Mysterious Mose

Good morning, Josie. I completely understand what you are saying. If I were a shy person, I would sometimes secrete myself where no one can hear my gut sounding like a pot of boiling goop. Fortunately, I get a kick out of the weird looks I get from people and dogs alike. :-)

I think your theory about the missing colon helping to deaden these sounds has merit. Maybe it is something eaten that has a higher than usual liquid content which would be taken care of by the colon. But without the colon, it pops through the ileum and has nothing to squeeze out the liquid and accompanying gas. I am sure there is a scientific answer out there somewhere. I have an appointment with my gastro guy in a couple of weeks and will ask him.

--Daniel

eefyjig

I don't notice much difference, only that my stoma is noisier since I had my gallbladder out and had gastritis. But your theories are interesting, especially the small intestine doing more work and being noisier, and I'm still laughing over Axl's response!

LJB222
Reply to CrappyColon

Mine is like a wild animal, haha! It howls, literally, and then makes roaring sounds like the sea swishing and swashing, haha! You are not alone, mine is wild and definitely has a "rare" voice, hahaha.

TerryLT

Mine is very loud too, and it's not always gas, although that is common because of my diet. I often hear and feel it as output kind of 'swooshes' through me, definitely loud enough for others to hear. My husband is pretty used to it and doesn't even comment anymore!

Terry

CrappyColon
Reply to Mysterious Mose

I have my 6-month follow-up or something with my colorectal surgeon on Monday. I'd like to think I'd remember to ask her that... usually I keep notes on my phone to keep myself on track, but I triple booked myself and have to do that appointment in the parking lot on my phone; where my next appointment is so I can actually do both. The third thing I have to cancel because I couldn't figure out a way to be in 2 cities an hour apart at once. I could write my questions down on a piece of paper, but the problem with a piece of paper is I'll lose it while I'm trying to do multiple things at once. But my phone I don't lose, eh well, I have to ask someone to call it a lot to see where I left it.

Mysterious Mose

I am part of the University of Colorado Health network, so all my appointments are available via their app. Helps a lot with the medical stuff. I can import into my calendar. My 20th century self would be shocked at how much my 21st century self relies on his phone!

ron in mich
Reply to CrappyColon

Hi CCD. Yes, watching the tigers, and for what it's worth, I think the extra space after colon removal allows for bigger loops of small bowel, and all the foods and liquids are shooting around in there making all the noise.

CrappyColon
Reply to ron in mich

In the 7 years I lived in MI, I think I went to a Tigers game once. I'm a Cubs fan, and my son was born in Chicago, but unfortunately, his first baseball game was the then Indians, and it ruined him for being a Cubs fan.

My small intestine seems to only be loud on the right side. I wonder if it's more crowded on the right because there are more organs on that side to share space with?

CrappyColon
Reply to eefyjig

Axl's response - It was definitely creative.
My gallbladder is gone too, wonder if that makes a difference?

IGGIE
Reply to CrappyColon

Sounds like there's not much left in there. You could rent it out for wedding receptions.

Redondo

I sometimes try to pass it off as though my stomach is growling. But sometimes that doesn't work and then I'll just hold on to my stomach and say excuse me.

vanestag
Reply to CrappyColon

Mine is too, my husband can hear it from across the room, my dog looks at me funny! So afraid it'll be noisy when out in public, people will think I'm passing gas! Especially noisy when I've just changed it out.

61smiles

Mine is also very loud. It makes all kinds of swishing and gurgling sounds besides gas sounds. It's much worse now that I have a huge peristomal hernia.

Past Member

Mine has gone off loudly too. If it happens in public and someone turns around to look, I just smile and point to the closest person next to me.