Coloplast Sensura Mio Convex Flip Issues and Alternatives

Replies
Views
Virgo68
Jun 29, 2023 3:22 pm

I know this question has been posted in the past, but I am testing out this new bag, Coloplast Sensura Mio Convex Flip because I have a hernia. So far, I don't particularly like it. I think it leaks too quickly because of the petal form. I use barrier seals and I've tried using those barrier strip tapes but the tape adhesive is stronger so that it is harder to remove, even with adhesive remover. Seems like you have to use it to cover where the petals indent. I like that it fits over my hernia, but it also makes it more visible in clothing. Lastly, I'm finding that with the Velcro closure even leaks there too, kind of like sweat. Has anyone had all these problems? Am I doing something wrong? I'm probably going back to the Hollister bags I originally used even though they wrinkle around my hernia but they don't leak nearly as often.

Beth22
Jun 29, 2023 4:32 pm

The Velcro closure leaks? I am sure you are, but are you closing the flap before rolling it up and velcro it? And the flip, I notice it's thicker than the rest of the Coloplast products, so you really have to warm them good before placing it on and hold the petals down and take your finger from the inside of the petal and slide out to make sure it's firmly on. Hopefully that helps if you aren't already doing it.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Audrey Warren
Jun 29, 2023 7:02 pm

Virgo 68, I tried the convex flip about a year ago. I'm not quite two years into this new life experience. I liked them because I felt they made my stoma less noticeable. I don't have a hernia but a little belly fat. I tried them three times doing what you did. Each time they leaked.

I'll try what was suggested in the reply above since I have some samples left but I'm not optimistic. Good luck to both of us.

Virgo68
Jun 29, 2023 7:45 pm
Reply to Beth22

I close it up as tightly as I can, but being used to the Hollister bag, the Velcro doesn't seem as strong with just the two little tabs. It's not a huge problem but it can be annoying.

Virgo68
Jun 29, 2023 7:47 pm
Reply to Audrey Warren

It's been a full year since I got my colostomy and I feel like I'm still practicing. I tried the Coloplast twice before and keep thinking that I would need the rounded covering because of a hernia.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
papaboo
Jul 02, 2023 9:46 pm

Hello, I use the Coloplast Flip and I love it because of the hernia. It works great. Trying to find the correct size is a problem. I use the Blue size. I don't like that big round filter so I cut it out. If I can't get the clear bags, I also love something called "EZ-VENT" to release gas, and I get a 20ml Plastic Syringe to squirt water into empty my output. It's rather thick. I don't have a problem with the flange coming off. I can also just swap the bag if I am too stoned from all the pain meds I take. See my back pic for some reason I fill up at night. Just my 2 cents. We all have different needs and reasons for what we do and how we do it.

JustGigi1967
Jul 03, 2023 2:57 am

I was discharged from the hospital with the Sensura Mio pouching system. Frankly, I don't like it. Even with the convex barrier ring, I have very low confidence in the product. I have lots of adhesive sensitivities, and I find that I need to take skin breaks with every pouch change because of the leaks around the barrier ring... I don't know, maybe my expectations are too high. Regardless, I am trialing a couple of other convex products to see if I like them any better or at least feel more comfortable and confident.

I am anxiously awaiting the Trio silicone products. The pouches and the full line will be available in late spring 2024.

gentlejohn
Jul 03, 2023 2:52 pm

Have you considered a hernia belt?

Virgo68
Jul 06, 2023 7:58 pm
Reply to Audrey Warren

I've tried two or three Coloplast hernia belts again and they all leak quicker than my old Hollister. I am not convinced these are better.

Virgo68
Jul 06, 2023 8:00 pm
Reply to gentlejohn

I have used hernia belts too, but usually only after I change bags to make the adhesive stick better. They don't really help my hernia or stop the leaks either. And the tape extenders irritate my skin more, so I try not using them too often either.

Virgo68
Jul 06, 2023 8:03 pm
Reply to JustGigi1967

As I mentioned to Audrey, I'm not impressed with the Coloplast Sensura Mio bags either. And the extender tapes irritate my skin more than the adhesives on the bags.

Bonita38
Jul 23, 2023 9:36 pm
Reply to Beth22

I haven't had any luck with those bags either. They leak too quickly! After talking with the manufacturer, I switched to ConvaTec moldable. I've gone from changing my pouch 5-7 times a day to wearing it for 5-7 days. It's been a game changer for me!

Beth22
Aug 21, 2023 1:06 am
Reply to Virgo68

Hey there.. I meant the flap. Did you flip the flap back over after emptying before you rolled and Velcro?

Beth22
Aug 21, 2023 1:07 am
Reply to Bonita38

I went to try the moldable but I am allergic to Convatec and they never stayed on my skin long enough..

rlevineia
Aug 21, 2023 2:07 pm

Are you prolapsed as well? It will lift the wafer up & leak. I have been battling it for months. Might try Convetec Durahesive with Hydrocolloid Flexible collar. The best wafer I have tried (hate the pouch). It really sticks to your peristomal area. The hardest to remove of the big 3 brands.