Amitriptyline for Facial Pain: Concerns with Ileostomy and Constipation

Replies
Views
Doreen 21
Aug 06, 2023 4:37 pm

Hi

I've been prescribed Amitriptyline for facial pain. Does anyone here with an ileostomy take Amitriptyline? I am nervous to use it as constipation is listed as a side effect. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Mike1988
Aug 06, 2023 7:17 pm

Hello Doreen

I have recently started on escitalopram for anxiety, but it is giving me some unwanted side effects. My doctor has said that if I cannot tolerate this, then I can try amitriptyline instead. To be honest, anything that firms up the motion would be greatly appreciated.

I think most antidepressants/anxiety meds have constipation/diarrhea as a side effect, but I think it affects everyone differently.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

papaboo
Aug 06, 2023 9:28 pm

Just to be safe, take a dose of Miralax in the morning; it should help. I need to take it due to all the pain meds I take, and it helps me.

feelingood
Aug 12, 2023 12:26 am

Please check to see if the medication you speak of is for the use you say it is. I took it for a while years ago and it wasn't for pain!

Jasper 007
Aug 22, 2023 5:56 am

I took amitriptyline for pain relief and it did not affect my ileostomy.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play