Managing Food and Blockages During Flare-Ups

Replies
Views
Greyybeard
Oct 17, 2023 3:10 am

In my experience, when I had a bad flare-up, any food could cause a blockage and a lot of pain. Eventually, I learned to stop eating solid food and just drink Boost/Ensure for several days until the flare-up subsided.

Other than that, the only food that badly affected me was popcorn. I had to learn to limit how much I consumed at one time (difficult when you are sharing a bucket at the movies) and to drink a lot of fluids when I did eat popcorn.

Gemini16
Oct 17, 2023 3:17 am

Going through something similar, but that's not my or any other ostomy's normal. Having an ostomy shouldn't be so restricting unless you have an underlying issue.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,841 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

IGGIE
Oct 17, 2023 9:03 am

Hi Grey, Mate Popcorn is a 100% big no-no.

Mysterious Mose
Oct 17, 2023 4:15 pm

I agree with Iggy. Popcorn is bad, no matter how much fluid you drink, especially if you frequently have blockage issues. Personally, I have never had a blockage. Of course, at 10 months post-surgery, I am still a relative stoma rookie. And I stay away from things like popcorn and whole kernel corn. There are just some things that are common sense, especially having looked at other insoluble things floating around in my bag. :-)

Daniel

AlexT
Oct 17, 2023 7:08 pm

As I'm sitting here looking at a bag of white cheddar popcorn, I must limit myself to only a handful once every day or two. Lots of popcorn or lots of lettuce are my two no-nos. I can eat it, but it better be in limited amounts and not on a regular basis.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Cplumber
Oct 17, 2023 8:52 pm

Never had a problem with popcorn. Good movie, big bucket of popcorn, cherry Icee, and a bunch of grandkids make a perfect day 🤣😎

Mysterious Mose
Oct 17, 2023 10:36 pm
Reply to Cplumber

Grandkids. I am jealous. I probably will never live to see those. My oldest is 33 and married, but they don't want kids. I was almost 50 when our twins were born, and they are both struggling musicians. No kids on the horizon there either. I am so sad. But then, I look at the state of the world and think it is probably for the best...

Daniel

squirrels in the attic
Oct 18, 2023 1:37 am
Reply to Cplumber

Popcorn with butter, yum! But corn on the cob - a bad idea. Ended up vomiting for hours because of the blockage. Also, bran has sent me to the ER. But after 40 years, you get to know what will be nasty trying to get out!

AlexT
Oct 18, 2023 3:07 am
Reply to Mysterious Mose

You can borrow one of my 6 grandkids. 😬😮‍💨

ahynes111
Oct 22, 2023 6:26 am
Reply to Cplumber

Yup, me too! Just chew! I love mushrooms, and I see them sliver their way out!

terrizajdel
Oct 23, 2023 7:46 pm

Hey Greybeard! Bless you and your feisty colon.

If I eat anything with seeds or skins (no matter how soft it's cooked) or more than 2% fiber, I spend the evening pacing the floor in agony and praying for it to stop.

Terri