Best Bag Covers and Belts for Daily Use with an Ileostomy

Replies
Views
JustMeRLB

Hello.
I am going to have an end ileostomy surgery soon.
I am wondering what day-to-day products you use in the form of bag covers and belts.
I am a choir teacher and am usually on my feet most of the day, with standing and sitting often.
I am on the larger side and remember how pregnancy belly bands rolled into my folds… wondering what everyone uses and what is available. Also, where to purchase items. And if anyone has made their own (I sew).
Thanks!
Rhonda

xnine

I use the Hollister belt with my Hollister pouch. I also use a tummy sleeve (belly band) or a bandeau (tube top) when I wear the mini bags.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,504 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Morning glory

If I could sew, I would make my own covers.

Mysterious Mose

I use Hollister products and tend to eschew belts and the like. I wear high-waisted pants with elastic. They do not inhibit the stoma. If I need to wear belted pants for any reason, I use a StomaShield from StomaGear. The StomaShield works well as long as my bag doesn't get too full. It really isn't ideal for an ileostomate to wear for long periods. I also sometimes use a StomaDome, but find it hard to keep the waistline over the rounded dome. So, pants with elastic work best. Also, it is good to understand how diet affects your output. You must remember that most ileostomates need to empty their bags a good 6 to 8 times in a 24-hour period. More or less depending on your diet. You will learn how to "control" things via when and what you eat. It's a journey of discovery.

Daniel

AlexT

I use a vertical Stealth Belt and wraps from OstomySecrets.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
amymariefred

Hi. I'm a special ed teacher and feel you! I'm one month post-op and struggling to prepare to be back at work in a month. Here's what I've learned:

Wait about a month before you invest in anything over $30. Give it time to shrink and for yourself to decide if you prefer vertical or horizontal. Most ostomy nurses instruct you on how to wear the pouch vertically. I ordered a horizontal stealth belt 2 weeks post-op because I hate the bag hanging between my legs. My ostomy is to the right and in line with my belly button. I found that the belts that came with my ostomy nurse did absolutely nothing to support. The weight of the bag when filling or full was the most challenging piece.

The horizontal stealth belt is great and bad at the same time. Wearing it horizontally makes the filter clog faster and can cause gas buildup, especially overnight. I find that wearing my bag vertically at night is the best solution for that.

Those stealth belts take a long time to ship too, so don't be in a hurry. I also ordered an ostomy wrap to see if that will be any easier for nighttime. It's arriving tomorrow. It also took forever to ship. That was via Ostomy Secrets. Ask your ostomy nurse for any coupon codes for both products.

Pouch covers are mostly for looks and the only benefit I see is that it keeps the little tab closure thing at the bottom of the pouch from digging into your leg (a huge plus), but it adds bulk and doesn't support the weight of the full pouch.

One last piece of advice: showering has been a challenge unless it was an appliance change day. I ordered a waterproof cover for mine (also took forever to ship and is arriving this week). I did use Glad Press and Seal over the bag followed by layers of plastic wrap. Not a sustainable solution if you're earth-conscious. It kept it mostly dry.

I'm struggling to find comfortable pants to wear. My scars from surgery are below my belly button and I can't wear pants there. Pulling leggings over my stoma is also uncomfortable and causes pancaking. It's trial and error. I'm opting for overalls as I transition.

I wish you the best. I'm nervous to go back to work with all the new hygiene routines.

infinitycastle52777

I use one of these because it is thicker than the belt that goes hooked onto the bag and more supportive too:

https://www.amazon.com/JRAIYBZ-Ostomy-Support-Covers-Supplies/dp/B0CBTZDLQR/ref=sr_1_16?crid=G7H85PUIEDYM&keywords=ostomy+wrap&qid=1698373027&s=hpc&sprefix=ostomy+wrap%2Chpc%2C116&sr=1-16

rlevineia

Having a large gut can cause leaking issues. I'm 4 years post-op ileostomy and prolapsed. No lifting per surgeon, bummer. Now I have skin folds. I would get a good exercise/diet program and advice from a PT. I know a few ostomates with weight issues. They use Eakin rings and paste to seal it. Tip: Try to keep your body upright. We tend to lean over to relieve stress on the stoma area. It can make you leak and ruin the seal on your skin. Good luck.

momsy777

Before you invest in belts, belly bands, covers, etc., try buying comfortable brief-style underwear in a size larger than normal and tucking your bag inside. It holds the bag in place without putting too much pressure on the stoma.

HarleyQ

I wear a professionally designed stoma hernia belt called Nu-hope Hernia Belt, specifically sized to fit the stoma appliance size I use. I no longer have a parastomal hernia, but I still wear this hernia belt to this day as I am overweight and it helps to keep my stoma upright and in one position. Unfortunately, I have a big belly and constantly feel like my stoma is moving around and not stable, especially when my bag begins to fill up. I wear it everywhere, including showering and swimming, because I have had three parastomal hernias in the past, so I refuse to take it off except for a quick wash in the washing machine. If you are concerned about proper support, find an ostomy supply company that measures and fits you for one of these (it doesn't have to be Nu-hope; there are other ones out there), especially if you are overweight around your belly. It will help, that's for sure.

They aren't glamorous, but they have many size and width options to give full support, medium support, etc.

I have tried the cheap Hollister clip-on belts - they don't do anything for me, and they end up just twisting and do nothing to support my stoma. It's basically a thicker elastic band that clips onto your appliance; they don't give any support. I wouldn't buy them.

Oh, and others' comments on waiting until you heal a few weeks from surgery is a good idea. Just let your doctor or ostomy nurse know that you want to purchase one first and ask them when is the right time to do so.

Good luck!