Dealing with Persistent Unpleasant Odors: Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
Ostomy4life_22
Nov 21, 2023 12:28 am

Hello all

My question is concerning about smell. Sometimes I can smell what is like poop smell. And I feel as though everyone else can smell it also and if they do they are polite and don’t say anything. Is there something that I can use other than the deodorant that I have? Thank you for your response.

Mysterious Mose
Nov 21, 2023 12:46 am

What you are smelling are most probably phantom odors. Being an ileostomate with sinus issues, it is something all too familiar. Phantom odors have plagued me all my adult life. Having an ostomy that is opened directly under the nose only make it worse. But, there are solutions. The ostomy deodorant/lubricant from Brava and Adapt both work well. As do the M9 deodorants. If you have insurance issues, Tic Tacs can also help as the deodorants are $17-$18 a bottle. Having an ileostomy, one can go through the deodorants is a rush. I alternate between Tic Tacs and the deodorants. That way, I only use one bottle a week. :-)

Daniel

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

AlexT
Nov 21, 2023 2:38 am

Buy a cheap can of body spray and squirt a little on your bag to cover any slight odors you might think you have. 

Ostomy4life_22
Nov 21, 2023 3:17 am
Reply to Mysterious Mose

This tic tac you speak of, is it like the mint tic tac or something entirely different? 

Maried
Nov 21, 2023 3:46 am

Have a close friend or family member do a sniff check...and make sure you change your bag before it smells. Some people get 1 or 2 days of wear (me) others 3 to 5 days.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Play
Maried
Nov 21, 2023 3:48 am

If you bag has a filter put a  stick on closure over it

Axl
Nov 21, 2023 9:01 am

My experience is there is only a smell if it is leaking but in the early weeks I thought I could smell something but it was only my imagination.

Ostomy4life_22
Nov 21, 2023 1:49 pm
Reply to Axl

So it’s not leaking I checked for that. My spouse says it’s all in my head and that my imagination is running wild. But I tell him that your nose isn’t right above it. So maybe it is just me thinking I smell. Who knows anymore.

Mysterious Mose
Nov 21, 2023 3:57 pm
Reply to Ostomy4life_22

Just the regular mint Tic Tac. If you drop a couple in your bag after emptying, it does help with the odor when you open the bag. IMO, the biggest reason for "phantom" odors is that we all open our bag right under our noses. Smells get trapped in our sinuses and we think everyone else can smell it as well. They can't. But, that doesn't stop the paranoia. Even when you know they are not odors external to your own nose. Before I started using odor control stuff, I was constantly asking my wife if she was sure I did not smell. To the point where she would get frustrated with the constant question. And my bathroom always smelled, as I empty my bag 7-8 times a day or more. That is no longer a problem and my mind is a calmer place.

One other thing. Go light on onions. Their odor is difficult to mask. 😃

Daniel

Maried
Nov 21, 2023 8:48 pm

I received my ostomy when I was a young woman..I moved back home to live with my Mom and Dad because I was pretty sick . Me and my mom went shopping ..and my bag started to inflate..this was my first time out in public with my new colostomy.  I thought for sure everyone could smell my bag..I asked my Mom several times..she kept saying no..no smell. Its hard in the beginning..but those little bags really do their job! Once you get that right set up stay strong 💪 

warrior
Nov 22, 2023 6:14 am

I tried tic tac mints.  they didn't work I switched to the Altoid mint and specifically the spearmint I would crush that up before I crush it up I tried using the tablet form pop two in there it didn't really dissolve I ended up having to put almost three or four to really get rid of the odor it really stinks when you open up that bag to drain it so my advice would be if the Tic Tacs don't work try a stronger mint and it's definitely cheaper than anything I believe that's out there

14jax71
Nov 22, 2023 5:48 pm

I think everybody with an ostomy has probably experienced it. I think you sense of smell is heightened for your type of ostomy. Everybody is afraid of having leaks. It might be a leak or phantom smell. 

amymariefred
Nov 28, 2023 3:40 am

M9 is the only thing I've found for deodorant that mostly works all the time. It doesn't cover up red wine smells, though. The lubricating deodorants just mask the smell. I find Poo-Pourri helps the air in the bathroom too, but some scents make it worse. Try Heavenly Scent or Citrus.

AlexT
Nov 28, 2023 5:09 pm
Reply to amymariefred

Yes, the Poo-Pourri stuff is good for the bathroom. It's kind of pricey, but you only need 1-2 squirts to cover any foul smell. The M9 spray is also very good for covering out-of-bag odors.

Mysterious Mose
Nov 28, 2023 9:43 pm

I forgot to mention that, in addition to TicTacs and lubricating deodorant, I also take a 60 mg tablet of chlorophyll every day. I am perfectly aware that there is at least one study that purports to show chlorophyll has no real effect. But what I am doing works for me. So be it. :-)

Daniel

warrior
Dec 25, 2023 3:08 pm

One month old post here.

Upon giving much thought to "that smell," I believe it is actually a transfer type of thing.

(Thank you CSI).

It's a rub off or scent attachment.

Like a smoker's coat or jacket.

So that smell does exist whether you accept it or not. Get under your bed sheet covers. Make a wave with them. That is a telltale sign.

Just saying. No disrespect. A transfer. Those damn cells.

Smell happens. It can be dealt with as suggested by others.

Scotspilgrim
Jan 21, 2024 2:48 pm

My wife says that she can smell it. I have assured her that I cannot and have had a good sniff right at her, but I've never smelt anything even once in 6 months and if I did, I would absolutely tell her as I'd want someone to tell me. Her bag is secure, very rarely leaks, but there must be some odors escaping that are maybe wafted up under your clothes, but only you are aware of it because you are probably hypersensitive to it.