Stomach Gurgling and Anxiety Post-Colostomy: Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
Nini4
Nov 23, 2023 11:30 pm

Today, my stomach has been gurgling and making noises it seems all day. Before my colostomy, I didn't think twice about it. But with the bag, I've been nervous all day.

My output is not all liquid, I'm not sure how to explain it but there is soft stool and liquid together.

I had eggs for breakfast, and wonder if that is why. I've been eating eggs since I came home from the hospital but maybe too much?

I did have turkey, mashed potatoes, some dressing, and a small serving of green beans today. I'm still learning what to eat, and when.

I wish I were like so many on here, who have adjusted so wonderfully. I know it's still early for me, just 5 weeks post-op, but today is one of those days where my anxiety takes over.

Any thoughts or insights appreciated. Am I overreacting? It's okay if you say yes!

Thanks

Riva
Nov 23, 2023 11:55 pm

You've got this. You're very new at this new journey. Green beans - chew, chew, chew. Relax and don't overthink every sound and color. Now enjoy.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Nini4
Nov 24, 2023 12:06 am
Reply to Riva

Thank you. I will say, I definitely chew my food. I will stop myself from counting bites in my head. I know that probably sounds silly. 😄

Beachboy
Nov 24, 2023 12:10 am

I had lots of stomach gurgling in the first 3 months post-op. I was concerned, but it didn't cause any trouble. Your system is still healing and adjusting. I would avoid green beans for a couple more months. Eggs are OK. I usually eat them hard-boiled, scrambled, or in an omelet. My output varies too. Rarely liquid, mostly toothpaste consistency. I don't really monitor my food intake. Here's what I rarely eat:

Nuts. I do munch cashews and peanuts once a month. But chew, chew, chew them.

Candy. I enjoy M&M's, gummy bears, Payday candy bar. I eat one of the above once a month.

Refried beans. I indulge once a month. Love them... pay the price later when my bag resembles a blimp.

Fruits. I cut apples into slices, eat them while avoiding the skin. Eat other fruits like plums, peaches the same way.

Most other food is OK. Hamburgers, tacos, pasta, steak, shrimp, lobster, ham, turkey, cheese, pizza, fish: to name a few.

I don't eat hotdogs, anything spicy, raw vegetables, corn, most salads.

I have eaten a small amount of well-chewed popcorn at the movies with no problem.

I don't drink sodas, energy drinks, lemonade, or anything with pulp. When I go out to dinner, I drink water or unsweetened iced tea.

If in doubt... eat a little... see what happens.

For me, it's mostly pancaking messing up my bag when I eat fun stuff. Salads give me liquid output... pretty quickly.

I drink an Ensure Enlive bottle every morning and eat some Greek yogurt. Then take a probiotic capsule. Later I eat a protein bar. I sip a Gatorade FIT electrolyte beverage until lunch. And this is good till I get home for dinner.

Take care

Nini4
Nov 24, 2023 12:13 am
Reply to Beachboy

Thank you! I appreciate all the information; it is very helpful!

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Play
Beachboy
Nov 24, 2023 12:15 am

Also, I avoid all fried foods.

Morning glory
Nov 24, 2023 12:36 am

Try not to worry too much. You're probably overthinking every noise. You will get past this. I am glad that you are aware of how important chewing is. It sounds like you ate a good meal. You need to try what you want in small amounts. Hopefully, you will be one of the lucky ones and will be able to eat what you want.

Ben38
Nov 24, 2023 12:42 am

It takes time to learn to live and adjust to stoma life. It's perfectly normal how you're feeling, so don't be hard on yourself.

It might not even be anything to do with what you've eaten. It could be just from feeling nervous or, as I call them, off days. Sometimes our output changes for no apparent reason from food we've eaten many times before without any problems.

Sit down, put your feet up, and watch a movie.

Nini4
Nov 24, 2023 12:45 am
Reply to Morning glory

Thank you. Yes, I tend to be an overthinker in general, so I am really going to have to learn how to stop obsessing.

CrappyColon
Nov 24, 2023 12:55 am

I'm just over a year out from my last surgery, and my son and I were laughing so hard at how loud my small intestine was being tonight. Some of the Thanksgiving foods are rich/heavier in fat content and may be causing things to act up a bit. There are so many ingredients in dressing/stuffing it could be something small like that. But if you're feeling okay otherwise… I remember I cried in the hospital the first time I saw green beans come out in my clear hospital ostomy bag. Now I think my reaction is funny because it was just green beans, but at the time it was not just green beans to me 😆

Nini4
Nov 24, 2023 1:06 am
Reply to CrappyColon

Thank you! Yes, they are just green beans 🤣

Nini4
Nov 24, 2023 1:09 am
Reply to Ben38

Thank you. I definitely think part of my problem today is my nerves. I woke up feeling off and haven't been able to shake it all day.

But as you said, time to kick back and watch some TV.

CrappyColon
Nov 24, 2023 2:18 am
Reply to Nini4

When my surgeon came to visit me early one morning, she asked how I was, and it was the morning after the green beans… and I looked at her and said… have you ever watched green beans come out of a stoma? I was really not happy about that 🤣

AlexT
Nov 24, 2023 7:45 pm

You threw new food into your system, the Thanksgiving stuff. It will not sound normal till it gets out of your system and you're back to your normal eating routine. Mine has been complaining all morning. 🤭

Nini4
Nov 24, 2023 8:51 pm

Definitely better today!

Justbreathe
Nov 25, 2023 12:22 pm

Just breathe - it'll all come out eventually - from one nervous Nellie to another - it will get easier and you will become “Smarticus” with ostomy knowledge if you continue to check in to this wonderful world of ostomates. Best wishes and hugs…..jb

Nini4
Nov 25, 2023 3:51 pm

Thank you! Yes, a lot to learn. I'm so grateful to have found this site filled with wonderful and kind people. Like you. 😊

Mysterious Mose
Nov 25, 2023 6:57 pm

What's left of my digestive system gurgles all the time. I've never been concerned enough about it to try to figure out what food or misstep in chewing caused it, as I have never had any issues because of it. True, it does get a bit noisy at times. Fortunately, I don't embarrass easily! :-))

Daniel

Nini4
Nov 25, 2023 7:20 pm

I'm guessing it's because I'm still hyper about sounds and movement. Sounds mean it's moving and working, so that's a good thing.

After all I've been through, I won't be embarrassed. It's a part of me now. Just reading your posts, I kinda figured you would not embarrass easily🤣