Itchy After Changing My Bag: Anyone Else?

Replies
Views
infinitycastle52777
Dec 02, 2023 11:30 pm

Whenever I change my bag, for like the first half hour afterward, the dang thing itches like crazy. After that, it is ok. Anyone else have this happen?

Lee

kittybou
Dec 03, 2023 3:47 am

Mine itches 24/7, every minute I have the bag on.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

AlexT
Dec 03, 2023 4:21 am

Might be a reaction to your skin from the sticky stuff.

infinitycastle52777
Dec 03, 2023 5:15 am
Reply to AlexT

But wouldn't it continue if it was that? Because after a while, it does settle down.

Lee

papaboo
Dec 03, 2023 5:52 am

Do you use an adhesive remover and/or a skin barrier product? I have the ability to let my skin air out for a bit before I reinstall my equipment. I also rinse off my skin with "witch hazel" that really helps me.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
infinitycastle52777
Dec 03, 2023 1:49 pm
Reply to papaboo

Thank you for the tip. I do use a skin barrier. I use the one that comes on a wand, or as my ostomy nurse I had back in April and May used to call it, a lollipop. I don't know, it just itches for a while and then it isn't so bad anymore. But gosh, do I ever want to scratch it. I don't, but I want to.

Lee

Justbreathe
Dec 03, 2023 1:57 pm

Sounds like skin allergies—often difficult to pinpoint who the culprits might be—but for me, when all is in harmony, I have absolutely no feeling of discomfort until the load gets heavy and I realize it's time to open the floodgates. jb

rlevineia
Dec 03, 2023 5:42 pm

Mine itches on and off. Your skin might be very sensitive. I have tried all three major brands. Some itch more than others. In the long run, I found Hollister's Ceramide infused the best. Try them all. If the tissue surrounding the pouch gets itchy and raw, try some aloe or lotion. Don't get it on the pouch.

Mysterious Mose
Dec 03, 2023 8:32 pm

That is often the case for me. I will get some itching the first day, but it usually goes away after the first night's sleep. If it does not, it is usually a sign I have some seepage and should change the appliance.

Daniel

infinitycastle52777
Dec 04, 2023 3:04 am
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Yeah, that is kind of what it's like when it's fresh and newly put on. It itches for a bit, but it doesn't stay itchy the whole time it's on, just at first.

Lee

IGGIE
Dec 04, 2023 11:54 am

G-Day Lee, I have found that if you use too much skin barrier, it pulls on the skin and makes it very itchy. Less is better; don't overdo it. First, get rid of the so-called lollipop and try another skin barrier, or try it first without any barrier at all. We all use things without testing if we can survive without them. Go without first, then if you need a barrier, try a different one and work from there. Regards, IGGIE

infinitycastle52777
Dec 05, 2023 4:03 am
Reply to IGGIE

Thanks for the advice, Iggie. I do have skin barrier wipes as well as the lollipops, so I could try that. I have been reluctant to use them because they are different from what I normally use. When I apply the barrier, I usually use the wand on any and all skin that the wafer is going to touch just because I don't want to get sores or anything anywhere. But I use it especially around my stoma because I do get skin breakouts near the stoma site. I guess I could try not using a barrier lollipop. I am afraid to go totally without because then I will need to treat the skin that is near the stoma. You have given me something to think about, and tomorrow morning is a change-the-bag day, so I will maybe give the wipes a try just to see if that is any better.

Lee

IGGIE
Dec 06, 2023 12:56 pm
Reply to infinitycastle52777

G'day Lee, so tell me, did you try a different barrier wipe or even without one? Regards, IGGIE

judithgrinsted
Dec 10, 2023 8:08 pm
Reply to infinitycastle52777

I have the same problem, just itchy for about half an hour. Try calamine lotion. Works for me.

infinitycastle52777
Dec 13, 2023 12:49 am
Reply to judithgrinsted

I will have to try that, not sure if I have any on hand. I'll ask my mom if she has any.

Lee

infinitycastle52777
Dec 13, 2023 12:51 am
Reply to IGGIE

I don't really go without a barrier wipe because if I do, then my skin breaks out. I do have a different wipe aside from the wands. I have been reluctant to try it because it is a little wipe, and the wands are not so little, and I think the wands will work better. I don't know; since I have a different kind, I suppose I should at least give it a try.

Lee

jetro98
Dec 31, 2023 10:17 pm
Reply to papaboo

Witch hazel doesn't interfere with the adhesion of the bag?