Itchy

Replies
Views
infinitycastle52777

Whenever I change my bag for like the first half hour afterward the dang thing itches like crazy. After that it is ok. Anyone else have this happen?

Lee

kittybou

Mine itches 24/7, every minute I have the bag on. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Top 5 Collections
AlexT

Might be a reaction to your skin from the sticky stuff. 

infinitycastle52777
Reply to AlexT

But wouldn't it continue if it was that? Because after a while it does settle down.

Lee

papaboo

Do you use a adhesive remover and/or a skin barrier product?  I have the ability to let my skin air out for a bit before I reinstall my equipment I also rinse off my skin with "witch-hazel" that really helps me.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
infinitycastle52777
Reply to papaboo

Thank you for the tip. I do use skin barrier, I use the one that comes on a wand or as my ostomy nurse i had back in april and may used to call it a lollypop. I don't know, it just itches for like a while and then it isn't so bad anymore. But gosh do I ever want to scratch it. I don't but I want to.

Lee

Justbreathe

Sounds like skin allergies- often difficult to pin-point who the culprits might be -  but for me, when all is in harmony I have absolutely no feeling of discomfort- until the load gets heavy and I realize it’s time to open the flood gates    jb

rlevineia

Mine itches on & off.  Your skin might be very sensitive.  I have tried all 3 major brands.  Some itch more than others.  In the long run, I found Hollister's Cermide infused the best.  Try them all.  If the tissue surrounding the pouch gets itchy & raw, try some aloe or lotion.  Don't get it on the pouch.

Mysterious Mose

That is often the case for me. I will get some itching the first day. But, it usually goes away after the first night's sleep. If it does not, it is usually the sign I have some seepage and should change the appliance.

Daniel

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Yeah, that is kind of what it's like when it's fresh and newly put on it itches for a bit but it doesn't stay itchy the whole time it's on, just at first. 

Lee

IGGIE

G-Day Lee,  I have found that if you use to much skin barrier it pulls on the skin and make it very itchy. Less is better dont over do it. First get rid of the so called Lollipop and try another Skin Barrier, or try it first without any barrier at all. We all use things without testing if we can survive without them. Go without first then if you need a barrier try a different one and work from there. Regards IGGIE

infinitycastle52777
Reply to IGGIE

Thanks for the advice Iggie. I do have skin barrier wipes as well as the lollipops, so  I could try that. I have been reluctant to use them because they are different from what I normally use. When I apply the  barrier I usually use the wand on any and all skin that the waffer is going to touch just because I don't want to get sores or anything anywhere. But I use it especially around my stoma because I do get skin breakouts near the stoma site. I guess I could try not using a barrier lollipop I am afraid to go totally without because then I will need to treat the skin that is near the stoma. You have given me something to think about, and tomorrow morning is a change the bag day so I will maybe give the wipes a try just to see if that is any better.

Lee

IGGIE
Reply to infinitycastle52777

G-Day Lee,  So tell me did you try a different barrier wipe or even without one? Regards IGGIE

judithgrinsted
Reply to infinitycastle52777

I have the same problem, just itchy for about half an hour. Try Calamine lotion. Works for me.

infinitycastle52777
Reply to judithgrinsted

I will have to try that, not sure if I have any on hand. I'll ask my mom does she have any.

Lee

infinitycastle52777
Reply to IGGIE

I don't really go without a barrier wipe because if I do then my skin breaks out. I do have a different wipe aside from the wands. I have been reluctant to try it because it is a little wipe and the wands are not so little and I think the wands will work better. I don't know, since I have a different kind I suppose I should at least give it a try.

Lee

jetro98
Reply to papaboo

Witch hazle doesn't interfere with the adhesion of the bag??

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.