My Stoma

Replies
Views
Bluejay

I need some help . I had a big hernia and a small one . My intestines was getting caught in my hernia and making a block . I asked my doctor to fix it , and she didn't want to . I don't know why . Anyway the last time my intestines got caught up in my hernia my doctor cut 6 inches off my stoma hoping it would be short enough that this wouldn't happen any more . Which she didn't tell me till after it was done . And when she put it back in she didn't do it right . Now my stoma is barely comes up above my skin and sometimes below my skin level . Which now I am having big trouble with leaks . I went to the hospital to the stoma nurses to show how bad my skin was burned so they could help me to talk to my doctor to redo it . They told me that it was a hard thing for the doctor to do and they didn't want to do it on less I spend all kinds of money trying out everything and if it didn't work that maybe the doctor would fix it . The thing is I don't have money to do this . I am afraid that sooner or later I will not have any money to buy what I need .    I am hoping someone can help me some how with this problem . My skin is burned up bad . It is  kind of black around the stoma . Also to let you know after that she fixed the hernia . I hope someone can here can help me . Thank you all for your time .     

CrappyColon

A lot of people from Canada come down to the US for surgeries 🤷🏻‍♀️ Not sure if that would be an option for you if you can’t get to a different surgeon up there. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,529 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Gemini16

Hi blue jay.  Just dealt with some of the same issues and extensive surgery.  Feel free to email me any questions or concerns.  

whackjob74

I would contact the supply companies as a start and they will send you free samples of any products they can that might help and then you have some options for free while you try and get a more permanent solution.

Beachboy

Call all the Ostomy medical supply companies.  They will send you free samples to try out. 

Request:  1 piece convex flange/bag and 2 piece convex flange with snap on bag.  Also get Skin Barrier wipes, adhesive remover spray and wipes, stoma powder, and moldable barrier rings.

Look up on this web site for "crusting" technique used to help repair damaged peristomal skin.  Uses skin barrier film and stoma powder.

You gotta try different brands and styles to get the setup that works for you.

You need a hard convex flange.  This will push your stomach down around your stoma.  Then hopefully your stoma will stick out enough to prevent leaks and skin damage.  Use a moldable barrier ring.   You'll be able to stretch and fit the ring around your stoma helping to seal the area from irritating output.  Put skin barrier film on first, then moldable barrier ring, then flange. 

If you still experience leaks, try adding a ring to the top of the flange around the stoma after the flange is installed.  This way you'll have 2 barrier rings, 1 below the flange, 1 on top of the flange.

You really need a different surgeon, then surgical revision of your ostomy.  A stoma sitting level with your skin will result in lifelong trouble.

Please post updates on your situation.  Allows experienced people from around the world to offer advice.  Your experience will help others.

Good luck.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Bluejay
Reply to CrappyColon

I don't think I would be able to do that . I would have to spend money getting there plus the cost of the hospital . Which I don't have . Plus if I can find a surgeon here it will not cost me for the surgery or the stay in the hospital . But thank you for your response  .

Bluejay
Reply to Beachboy

I have tried all of what you said here . Except the double ring thing . My problem is it leaks under the rings . So I am using stoma paste around the stoma to make kind of a dam , so it takes longer for the leak to come through . Than I put the ring on top of it . I am waiting right now for some free samples from New Hope .  Which is in Arizona . They treated me better than my own stoma nurses here in Canada at the hospital .  Thank you for your response . 

Bluejay
Reply to whackjob74

Thank you for the responds . I am doing that right now . Thank you anyway for trying to help .