ALERT (CAN’T HURT) TRASH THE SPLASH and RID THE LIQUID !

Replies
Views
Justbreathe

I am now 7 days into taking 2 teaspoons of Psyllium Fiber (compare to Metamucil - prolly cheaper) in my morning smoothie.  

I cannot even begin to tell you how much it has changed everything.  Let me reiterate,  I have a loop ileostomy - 3-1/2 years now (also referred to as temporary because reversal is possible)  my output has ALWAYS been liquid.  I recently became seriously dehydrated which everyone warns about and was drinking more water and liquid than I ever drank in my entire life.  Results were low sodium in blood tests - too much water.  Started IV Liquid and other products for hydration.  Nothing seemed to change.  Then I added fiber powder which has been in my pantry since my surgery.

After 7 days on fiber I can tell you the output has turned to the consistency of oatmeal as my surgeon suggest it SHOULD be!!!
I am starting to believe there is a great amount of confusion regarding the importance of fiber- especially for ileostomates.  Two teaspoons of fiber a day !  That simple change has totally changed everything for me.  Just wanted to share.  jb

warrior

wonderful news.thanks for sharing.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,488 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Morning glory

Great news.  

IGGIE

Well done, If you have a bigger amount you could turn it into Play Dow and sell it. Have a great New Year. Regards IGGIE

warrior
Reply to IGGIE

eeew. play doh?   iggie!!

cant get that imagine out of my mind now?!! 😋

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Justbreathe
Reply to IGGIE

It appears to me, IGGIE, you are one Expresso Martinis over the line this a.m. or in your case p.m. today 🤮. jb

AlexT

Dealing with that all liquidy output stuff would be hard, glad I didn’t get one of “those” ostomies. 😁 Good to hear you found something that helps. 

cbill59140

When you say “fiber powder” could you be more specific? Are you talking about Metamucil powder? Thanks!

Justbreathe
Reply to cbill59140