Tips for Pancaking Post-Surgery?

Replies
Views
Smart4812
Jan 28, 2024 2:16 pm

Any tips on pancaking? I'm a little over 2 weeks post-surgery..

Thanks

Beachboy
Jan 28, 2024 2:58 pm

Hello,

It's going to take a while for your body to recover and your digestive system to finish adapting to a stoma. Usually 1 to 2 months.

You can try lubricating deodorizer. Hollister and other medical manufacturing companies sell it. Call them and ask for a free sample. It kind of works at first. You have to rinse out the bag and reapply often.

Some ostomates use a small amount of baby oil added to the bag. Work the oil around inside the bag.

Start a food diary. Eat something. See what happens, and record the results. Everyone is a little different.

Keep a little air in the bag. If you have a 2-piece system, open up the bag top seal, gently pull the bag plastic apart to draw air inside, and reseal. This gives more room for output.

Pancaking happens. I just live with it. When I get a lot, I squeeze and manipulate the output down toward the bag bottom. If the bag is really coated with sticky output, I snap on a new bag. I use the Hollister 2-piece system with a moldable barrier ring.

Be careful. Do not lift anything heavy for several months. Ostomies can develop a peristomal hernia very easily. I have one. It looks like a bump under or next to your stoma. It can get bigger over time. When you cough or sneeze, try to firmly hold a pillow against your stomach. There are ostomy support belts available. Nu-Hope Corporation makes nice comfortable ones and offers a variety of styles, sizes, and widths. Your medical supplier can get them for you. It hasn't been proven that a belt prevents hernia, but it's worth a try. I wear a Nu-Hope belt nearly every day. It holds in my hernia nicely. I also have another belt from them with a prolapse strap used to flatten my stoma. It hides my ostomy well with a button-down shirt. I wore it yesterday to a funeral.

Take care

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

warrior
Jan 28, 2024 3:21 pm

Excellent advice. Agreed... Did they also tell you to stay hydrated? That's one thing a lot of people neglect is drinking their fluids.

Since you are relatively new to the ostomy world, I would definitely look into it if I were you.

And of course, keep asking questions.

w30bob
Jan 28, 2024 3:58 pm

I just want you colostomates to know... pancakes used to be my favorite breakfast food. Then I found this website and can now never look at pancakes the same. Thanks for that. Makes me want to pour maple syrup over all your heads. Just f&*king with ya!

;O)

Beachboy
Jan 28, 2024 5:24 pm
Reply to w30bob

You can still enjoy pancakes. Just get the ones with chocolate chips... yummy.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
Beachboy
Jan 28, 2024 5:28 pm

Smart,

What type of ostomy do you have? Ileo, colostomy?

I thought my colostomy was going to be temporary. Didn't happen.

warrior
Jan 28, 2024 5:35 pm
Reply to w30bob

Yo!!! Bob, you can still eat pancakes... just wear a blindfold and a clothespin for the nose πŸ˜‹

w30bob
Jan 28, 2024 5:35 pm
Reply to Beachboy

They're all temporary... because we all are!

;O)

warrior
Jan 28, 2024 5:37 pm
Reply to Beachboy

Nice visual!! Stoma fart downloading in three, two, one-

Beachboy
Jan 28, 2024 8:09 pm

Yes... everything in life is temporary. Someday our sun will run out of fuel, expand, shrink, then disintegrate in a flashy supernova. Just not next week.

kittybou
Jan 28, 2024 9:12 pm
Reply to w30bob

Waffles?

Beachboy
Jan 28, 2024 9:52 pm
Reply to kittybou

Actually, I "waffle" when figuring out which syrup to pour on my pancakes.

kittybou
Jan 29, 2024 12:01 pm
Reply to Beachboy

😹

Smart4812
Jan 31, 2024 1:24 pm
Reply to warrior

I actually have a water app, and have been averaging approximately 70 oz daily, so I've got that covered πŸ™ thank you

w30bob
Feb 01, 2024 9:02 am
Reply to kittybou

Yes! Unless someone on here starts describing their output as 'waffling'.

;O)

kittybou
Feb 01, 2024 10:43 am
Reply to w30bob

😸😹 That remark had me spewing coffee. ROFL. Thank you!!!

Smart4812
Mar 06, 2024 1:36 pm
Reply to Beachboy

Colostomy, I am also going through cancer, Acute Myeloid Leukemia, since 12/22. This is temporary. I developed diverticulitis, and it perforated my colon. Luckily, I didn't die. I still need a bone marrow transplant. πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’«πŸ₯΄ Lots of bumps in the road for me.

Smart4812
Mar 06, 2024 1:36 pm
Reply to Beachboy

Colostomy, I am also going through cancer Acute Myeloid Leukemia since 12/22, this is temporary. I developed diverticulitis and it perforated my colon. Lucky I didn't die… still need a bone marrow transplant πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’«πŸ₯΄ lots of bumps in the road for me.

warrior
Mar 06, 2024 2:08 pm
Reply to Smart4812

Yes, lots of bumps... potholes... detours indeed.

All manageable with help and patience and guidance.

You live in God's country up there. He has His eyes on you.

You've got this.

Beachboy
Mar 06, 2024 6:43 pm
Reply to w30bob

You sure? Cuz IHOP has those chocolate chip babies... chips melt right on your tongue. Yummy... seconds please.

Beachboy
Mar 06, 2024 6:44 pm
Reply to w30bob

My bag was flatulating.

Penguins7
Apr 25, 2024 1:54 pm

My advice on pancaking is to use baby oil in the pouch for lubricant and make sure you have a bit of air in the pouch. Walmart sells a scented baby oil that helps with odor as well. Drink plenty of water as it makes output less pasty. Good luck.