Post-Operation Pain and Discomfort: Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
Mikey shepherd
Feb 24, 2024 2:19 pm

Hi everyone, I just got my bag 2 weeks ago. I'm still in quite a lot of discomfort from the operation and struggling with a lot of trapped gas and sleeping.

How long did it take for the pain to subside after your operations?

Hisbiscus
Feb 24, 2024 2:54 pm

You will be in discomfort for some time, but everyone's body is different and heals differently. What I've learned from nurses is to walk, as this aids in healing and the trapped gas. Don't overdo yourself, but take a walk several times a day. I used to circle the hospital floor. So just do rounds around the house. I hope this can help you. It helped me.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,841 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Morning glory
Feb 24, 2024 3:24 pm

Welcome to the site. You will be in some pain for a while. Everyone is a little different, so don't push yourself. Walk every hour to keep from developing blood clots. It will help you to get rid of excess gas too, as Hibiscus mentioned. You could also use Gas-X or a generic of it. It helps break up the gas. Hang in there. We are a very supportive site. Jump on in and ask any questions about anything, and you will get a variety of answers. Everyone here understands what you are going through.

AlexT
Feb 24, 2024 4:52 pm

True pain was gone by the time I left the hospital, 5 days. Discomfort, abdominal soreness, continued for a couple of weeks. I took some very strong painkillers in the hospital along with Tylenol. Once home, I took just the Tylenol on a regular basis. The key to painkillers is to take them before you have discomfort. I know it sucks, but the best thing to do is get your body moving in some way; usually, walking is the number one recommendation.

eefyjig
Feb 24, 2024 6:55 pm

Ditto what everyone said. Walk as often as you can. Even while sitting, turn gently from side to side. While on your back, gently pull your legs one at a time in. I also had some back pain once home from having to bend over to hold onto my IV pole in the hospital. Hang in there!

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Kimmy050263
Feb 24, 2024 9:00 pm

I had a large vertical incision. After a week, the staples were removed. I started to get more comfortable at that point. It was such a relief to get the staples out. My surgery was December 29th. As time has gone on, I am adjusting and adapting.

Kim

Trucker
Feb 24, 2024 10:05 pm

My surgery was April 12, 2021. I ended up in the hospital for 2 1/2 weeks after the surgery due to a severe internal infection. My discomfort and pain lasted for about 3 months. The infection led to my anal area being left open to drain the infection. Gauze and packing had to be changed every couple of hours. That was unbelievably painful due to all the nerves that were left exposed. But all did heal, and I still commend my wife for all the help she gave me. She's a true gift from God. My surgery was an ileostomy. But all the pain does subside and get better.

slimwhitehicks
Mar 06, 2024 11:26 pm
Reply to Trucker

I agree that a great wife makes it possible. I don't know how I could have gotten through it without my wife.