Swimming can it be done ?

Replies
Views
davidjfriedrichs

I haven’t been confident enough to swim in the pool or the ocean since my operation in 2022. Has anyone got any tips or tricks to make this a safe exercise. I just don’t want the bag or flange to fall off during swimming. 

xnine

Do you have Premium? There 69 posts on swimming.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,697 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Stoma Boy

Here is my reply from a couple days ago for someone else asking about swimming.

Mar 03, 2024 6:23 am

I like you was very hesitant to get in the water with the bag.  When I did the first couple times I really felt uncomfortable.  Mostly because there was now drag (not a lot but some) where there had never been some before. So my focus was on the bag the entire time rather than on swimming so I didn't enjoy it.  So I wore a belt (wrap)  with the bag that kept it pressed against my body and that really helped me stop focussing on the bag while I was in the water.  I probably would have gotten used to it eventually but the belt worked.

Then I got a pretty decent sized hernia and the nightmare scenario started to occur regularly.  My bags started to come off in the water.  So I started to secure them with water proof tape around the entire perimeter of the bag.  I eventually switched from the tape to coloplast elastic barrier strips because removing the tape would take off skin when removing it from time to time.  Both options were successful in keeping the bag on.  Again, I only had problems once I had the hernia but if looking for extra piece of mind, tape or  barrier strips will do the job.

One other note:  I switched from swimming to deep water running because the aqua jogger belt covers the bag area. I find most of the issues I have doing stuff is more mental than physical and the aqua belt helps my mind.  I now get in the pool 4-5 times a week and is by far my favorite post Ostomy exercise.

Lastly, if you want to know anything else or talk about it more feel free to send me a private message.  This is something I really struggled with and am happy to share any and all of my experiences.

Good Luck

Justbreathe

Not to worry - won’t fall off or even leak if applied properly 

IGGIE

G-Day David, I don't know if you have them in the US but you can buy a thing called a Boob Tube. It's a soft material which is elasticated and Ladies wear them over their Boobs, they work great to hold it all together. Enjoy a good swim. Regards IGGIE

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Heppy8

Simple answer a big yes. On family holiday in Kos last year

infinitycastle52777

I swim and have never had a problem with my bag. I wear a wrap when I am in the pool and things feel secure and i don't give it a second thought.

warrior

good topic david. as others have given great advice as always. you will regain confidence hearing from them..and then do your own road test..err umm swim test i mean..

as for me? i would die of embarrassment  if mine fell off.

thoughts of wearing a wet suit swimming in 90 degree weather gives me pause. ha ha.

flange extenders really hold on and keep that mounting area secure..  in due time,  you wont even give thought to it.   

just have patience and confidence. 

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Heppy8

Great pic looks like you had lots of fun.

infinitycastle52777

Here is a person's blog with a video about swimming with a stoma:  http://www.sobadass.me/2023/08/16/swimming-with-a-stoma-2/

davidjfriedrichs

thank you everyone for the amazing response to my post ! You all have really helped me with some ideas to try and with some confidence to try it out ! Thank you everyone !!!!

Kimmy050263

My boyfriend got in my pool yesterday!  I was just not comfortable doing so just yet, so just dipped my feet in.  If I have to go beyond May I am going to have to look into these tips! 

it bag
Reply to davidjfriedrichs

It bag I am 83 had a colostomy 3 month ago went swimming last we no problems bit tired after did a lot of waking in water to get legs moving 

anyark

I do water aerobics 2-4x/week & have never had a problem.  As a female, I wear a one piece stretchy suit, and it holds my bag against me just fine.  Some people use sure seals as an added protection.  The one place I had an issue was staying in a hot tub too long because the hot water loosened the adhesive. I think five minutes would be my limit if I got in again.

Swim and enjoy!

Monsieur Le President

Swimming,diving, running, contact spo( rugby) , you can participate as much as you want 

I always made sure that my bag was well secure inside my bathing trunks I have dived from a 10m board . I played rugby for 17 seasons. You CAN do it

MjgHam

I swim for 90 minutes 5 days a week and have had an Ileostomy since 2019. Actually my surgeon recommended swimming as gentle exercise.

ruthsnyder2016

I had my surgery  4/21 and swim all the time.

I just a half moon band around  bag and a circle dot on filter hole.

Enjoy it's great to swim again