14-Year Stomaversary: Reflecting on Life After Surgery

Replies
Views
Charleston man
Apr 19, 2024 11:49 pm

As of today, it's been 14 years since having my life-saving surgery. Though there have been ups and downs along with trials and errors, I wouldn't be here today.

Beachboy
Apr 20, 2024 12:12 am

Happy Stomaversary!

Wow, 14 years. I'm going on 1 year 6 months.

Every day's a holiday....

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Riva
Apr 20, 2024 12:16 am

Congrats 🍷

Kas
Apr 20, 2024 1:23 am

Happy Stomaversary!

Littlefish
Apr 20, 2024 3:04 am

Congrats and thank you. You give me hope.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
ron in mich
Apr 20, 2024 1:09 pm

Hi C man, congrats. Life is good considering the alternative.

Hisbiscus
Apr 20, 2024 11:51 pm

Happy Stomaversary! You're a trooper!

Charleston man
Apr 21, 2024 12:08 am

Thanks to all who wished me the best and congratulations on my 14 years of experience with my ileostomy. And an experience it has been and will continue to be one. It goes to show that believing in yourself and having confidence, you can overcome most challenges.

Eau Claire
Apr 23, 2024 5:29 pm

The surgery was done on the 10th of Feb. It was not too bad, but the past 2 days have not been good. I seem to sleep and sleep and can hardly get out of bed. Please tell me this is normal at this point. I was told I had ovarian cancer, but it turns out that's not it. I have a mass of tangled guts at the bottom of the pelvis. The surgeons couldn't see past that with the laparoscopy. Yet I'm to have another in May. I am very nervous about that, mostly because of the horrible liquid I have to take the previous day. It's got aspartame in it, which makes me ill. I will be happy for any comments.

Beachboy
Apr 23, 2024 8:06 pm
Reply to Eau Claire

Hello,

More details would help. Do you have a colostomy, ileostomy, or urostomy? Is it temporary or permanent?

Why did you have ostomy surgery?

If you have pain or fever, seek medical help promptly.

Make sure you drink plenty of water. Don't drink too much at once, sip it. Too much at once will not be absorbed. Also, you need electrolytes. They are available in powder form and added to water. Or you can buy water with electrolytes added. It's easy to become dehydrated with an ostomy.

DexieB
Apr 24, 2024 9:27 pm

Hope you had a great stomaversary! :)

Eau Claire
Apr 25, 2024 10:09 am
Reply to Beachboy

Thank you for taking the time to read my story. I have an ostomy. It was done as an emergency procedure, and as I explained, they still don't know what the problem is. I am not feeling great, and I am not very hopeful about the outcome. There is cancer somewhere, but they don't seem to know where, as they could not see when they opened me up, and the biopsies came back inconclusive. I had lost lots of weight, and I had fluid retention in my legs... a lot! I find it almost impossible to regain weight. There are lots of foods I can't face. Well, that's it in a short version. Thank you again.

Rodr24
Apr 28, 2024 11:01 pm

Congrats. I'm coming on week 5 just now, and I'm so glad to have found this community for information, guidance, and support.