Stoma Output Question

Replies
Views
Rodr24

Being so new to this, it seems each day I have a new question... Thanks to everyone for all your help.

So, my stoma output is still exceedingly slow over the last few days. 3 days with only a tiny movement, and one day with none.

Part of my output today, for all appearances and texture, appeared to be a piece of poorly chewed and digested peice of meat with some gristle.

Is this just part of the stoma experience? Seeing things we didn't chew well enough or that just didn't digest well?

It makes sense that this can happen, but I'd welcome some added perspective here. And yes, I'll be chewing my food MUCH better from here on out...

Thank you! 

eefyjig

We’re always playing detective, looking at the symptoms and coming up with a plausible explanation. Do you have a colostomy or an ileostomy? Did you have pain with the slower output? Did the flow resume after the meat came out? Sounds like it was a blockage and I’m hoping you’re back to normal now.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,695 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Rodr24
Reply to eefyjig

Sorry, colostomy, 5 weeks ago.

Not sure about the flow yet, I had two small outputs, just gas and mucous aside from that so far this afternoon. But my bowel movements are almost exclusively early in the morning, so I'll know more tomorrow.

And I don't know that it was meat, just that's the impression I got. Total, I had a bit more output today than any of the last few days, but it's still below what I'm used to. That said, after my first day with very little output, I reduced my food intake significantly to ensure that if there was a problem, I didn't just complicate it.

Mostly, I was just curious about the appearance of the output, and if it's something other Ostomates sometimes see. 

eefyjig
Reply to Rodr24

Ah, ok. Colostomies seem to move slower and thicker than ileostomies, which is what I have. My output changes depending on what I’ve eaten and I’ve seen chunks of mushrooms come out and other chunky things. Plus you’re only five weeks out. You’ll notice more patterns with time but it’s all good as long as things are moving along. 

Hisbiscus

Oh yeah I've had large pieces of un chewed food come out and still do and you sometimes wonder how did that come out of that small hole. Lol! 

Of the output slow you might wanna call your surgeon and ask. Mine wanted me to do miralax once but I worked it out without it cuz I decided no way was I taking laxatives. 

The key is to chew, chew, chew. Put that fork down and chew. 

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Rodr24
Reply to Hisbiscus

Thank you for this!

And my wife loves your response, she's always telling me to eat slower... 

eefyjig
Reply to Rodr24

Haha, I'm always telling my husband this and he has a fully intact intestinal system! 

Morning glory

Good advice  from the others. You're  output  will be thinner if you hydrate more.  Your  body is still adjusting so try not to worry. You will develope a pattern. Chewing well and staying hydrated will help prevent  a blockage. It isn't  unusual to see chunks in your output.  It  just reminds me to slow down and chew more. 

judithgrinsted

I had the same problem, little or no output for 3 days. then a massive deluge overnight resulting in a leaking bag. My stoma care team suggested I take one sachet of Movicol first thing in the morning and increase my liquid intake.This has completely resolved the issue and my output is now well regulated.

Movicol is not a laxative, it's an inert compound ( Ethythlene glycol) that has no effect on digestion except to retain water and soften stools. I live in the uk and Movicol is free on prescription for me.

Also available under different names, Macragol, Laxadol etc

Hope this might help.