Where to Buy Extra Supplies at the Lowest Price?

Replies
Views
Kimy
May 02, 2024 7:41 pm

I would appreciate suggestions on where to purchase extra supplies at the lowest price.

As you know, insurance only allows so many per month, and I often get close to running out. Amazon is pretty expensive!

Andrew82
May 02, 2024 8:36 pm

I've used Medical Monks quite a bit. They're very good when insurance isn't cooperating. www.medicalmonks.com

They tend to have lower prices.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,866 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Kas
May 02, 2024 8:36 pm

I use eBay for my extra supplies.

Andrew82
May 02, 2024 8:38 pm
Reply to Kas

Lol, really! I've never even thought about that! I know Amazon has stuff too, but it's usually higher in price, I think. I'd have to look again; it's been a while.

Definitely checking eBay now. :)

aTraveler
May 02, 2024 10:09 pm

The cheapest I have found is

https://bestbuymedicalsupplies.com/

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
w30bob
May 03, 2024 1:38 am

Ditto Kas... eBay rocks! You can find some real bargains, but you have to check the expiration dates if that sort of thing is important to you. I've used Amazon when I needed something the very next day, but you pay full price. Check Marketplace too, just depends who's selling what in your neck of the woods.

What I do to "stockpile" supplies is tell my prescribing doc that I need enough supplies to change my barrier every other day due to irritation. I typically change on day 4, so I get double the supplies I need for that 3-month time period. By the end of the year, I've got a 1-year surplus of supplies on hand in case of any "supply chain disruptions" or other BS.

;O)

Night owl
May 03, 2024 3:55 am

Also, check with your local support group. They may have a donation closet and/or offer free supplies at meetings. It is a great opportunity to try different products and stock up. Check out local non-profits that take in medical supply donations; they may have ostomy supplies on hand. Craigslist and OfferUp sometimes have supplies listed.

Beachboy
May 03, 2024 5:49 am

Don't forget free samples from ostomy supply manufacturers.

I also use shopostomysupplies.com or Amazon. Not the cheapest, but I get it quickly.

Over the months I've had a colostomy, I discovered how long I can go between wafer and bag changes. I use a 2-piece Hollister system.

I've tested going 10 days with the same wafer... no problem, (just to see what would happen). Peristomal skin looked good, no irritation. Hair growth didn't affect the seal. I did change bags several times. My normal routine is a wafer change every Sunday.

Also, when I change to a new bag, I rinse out the soiled bag. They can be used over again a few times.

Showering with the bag on works. After drying off, I'll unsnap the bag and use a blow dryer on it, then make sure the connection flanges are clean, and snap it back on.

Beth22
May 03, 2024 10:56 am

For me too, Medical Monks is the cheapest and most reliable I have found. And I also buy my wound care supplies there. For the past 7 months, insurance wouldn't cover sterile saline, gauze, tape, or abdominal pads.

Hisbiscus
May 03, 2024 10:59 am

Best Buy Medical for pouches and rings if I go over the amount insurance allows.

Ostogroup in Florida may let you order things insurance does not cover but not bags if you have insurance. You just have to call and ask.

I get my things all over the place. I like expressmed.com for my M9. Seems cheaper and original product inside the bottle. They have a point system and free shipping if you spend enough at once. Very fast delivery as they have warehouses all over the US.

Amazon or expressmed.com for my adhesive remover wipes.

Beth22
May 04, 2024 11:04 am

Also, I forgot you can ask your doctor to say you need 30 bags per month instead of 20.

JVM261
May 04, 2024 12:30 pm

An app, Poshmark, has some good supplies sometimes.