Has Anyone Tried the "StomaGenie"?

Replies
Views
Marjatta
May 10, 2024 6:49 pm

Hello all!

I recently came across some advertising for the StomaGenie, which I'd never heard of before. Apparently, it solves the issue of a leaky stoma when you're trying to change your pouch. It holds the excess output in a small cylinder so everything stays neat and clean. I've requested a free sample from my supplier.

What I didn't like is the fact that you have to hold it over your stoma, allowing only one free hand for the rest. But then they have this "holder" that you can clamp onto your bathroom counter, allowing two free hands. Of course, it's sold separately. And they each run in excess of $40.

I normally only purchase products when they're highly recommended, but I haven't seen any reviews yet. As you know, unless you have private health insurance, these items can really rack up the dollars.

Your thoughts?

M

xo

P.S. I guess I didn't look hard enough for the reviews/testimonials. There are some on Amazon.

w30bob
May 11, 2024 12:03 am

Hi Marj,

Have seen it, but don't need it. I understand my bowels well enough to be able to predict when I'll have output... and I really do need two hands free when I'm changing my barrier. It's been talked about on here before, but searching on here is... umm... a crap shoot (pardon the pun), so doubt you'll find it. Anything medically related is stupid expensive... because it can be. Let us know your thoughts after you've tried it!

;O)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Beth22
May 11, 2024 1:15 pm

Hey, I have tried it, and although it was a good thought, it wasn't helpful for me at all. One-handed trying to do everything didn't work so well with trying to put it over the stoma. It wouldn't; they are round, so if yours is oval, it won't work. And if you're using a one-piece bag, it won't work, and even if using a two-piece, it wouldn't work. The cardboard on the outside is too thick and bulky to go through the wafer of a two-piece.

Marjatta
May 11, 2024 1:55 pm

Thanks for your input, Bob and Beth! I'll let you know what I think after my first use when my free sample arrives. My stoma seems to be active 24/7 ... I can have my morning shower with no output, but as soon as I sit down to apply my new pouch, it erupts like Mt. Vesuvius.

M

xo

IGGIE
May 12, 2024 2:17 pm
Reply to Marjatta

Then do it standing up; sitting puts pressure on the stoma. Regards, IGGIE

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
Beth22
May 13, 2024 12:11 am
Reply to Marjatta

My stoma is constant too. I don't have a quiet time, and it doesn't matter if I sit or stand; she moves no matter what. I have tried every time of the day, lol. It doesn't matter; she is always moving. And mine will play possum. She looks like she is calm, and then as soon as the air hits, boom, off and running all over. Which does get frustrating when changing the bag. I will use a red solo cup when I change my bag, holding it right under her while she moves, waiting for a time when I can get a bag on. I have sat for four hours more than once.

aTraveler
May 15, 2024 9:34 am

I use one every time I change my wafer. I use it primarily to clean and prep my skin prior to putting on the barrier ring and wafer. I have gotten used to cleaning and prepping my skin with one hand. Once the skin is ready, I remove the Stomagenie if no output is currently going in. I then clean off any excess from my stoma and quickly apply the Brava barrier ring followed by the barrier and extenders. I have a colostomy with semi-solid stool, which makes it easy to catch any output that may want to come out while I am applying the wafer, with a wipe. I have a 2-piece appliance; therefore, my final step is to apply the pouch.

wef
May 21, 2024 12:12 pm

It seems like my stoma never stops except early in the morning before breakfast. That's when it is safe for a slow, clean change. If for any reason I have to change during an active time, I just eat 2 giant-sized marshmallows, and in about 20 minutes I have plenty of time for a safe change.