Swimming and Beach Tips for New Ostomy Bag Users

Replies
Views
khar89
May 20, 2024 5:11 pm

I am new to having an ostomy bag. It's summer and I want to be able to swim and lay by the pool. What precautions should I take for protection of my ostomy bag for these things that I love to do? I'm also planning in two weeks to go to the beach, so I need suggestions…please!

Justbreathe
May 20, 2024 5:23 pm

I swim (well, dance) in the pool almost daily... no special requirement needed... looking forward to seeing other responses...

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

xnine
May 20, 2024 6:05 pm

Flange extenders give added security.

Beachboy
May 20, 2024 6:56 pm

What type of ostomy do you have?

An ileostomy has increased liquid output compared to a colostomy. Wafer adhesives are waterproof, but like Xnine mentioned, flange extenders will provide added security. You can also add a support belt. "Stealth belts" are designed for activity. Nu-Hope makes many styles of belts. And at a minimum, Hollister thin bag retention belts would secure your bag (provided you're using a Hollister 2-piece setup).

Riva
May 20, 2024 8:45 pm

Hi. Check out a wrap by Ostomy Secrets. Remember to stay very hydrated. Enjoy and don't let having an ostomy define you. You've got this đź‘Ť

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
anyark
May 25, 2024 9:48 pm

When I do water aerobics, I just put my stretchy suit over my bag and I have never had a problem. Some people like to use the Sure Seal and feel more secure with it, but I'm fine without it. My one caveat is to beware of hot tubs; when I sat in one for about 15 minutes, the heat loosened my adhesive and the bag started to come off.

Grammy
May 25, 2024 10:05 pm

Try switching to a closed bag before getting in. I normally use a drainable pouch

Then change when you are done.

swazmichel
May 26, 2024 4:42 pm

I do water fitness and I use a Sure Seal ring. I just like the extra protection. I am very curious about the product called a Stealth Belt. Anyone have any information on this belt?