Forget Expensive Ostomy Wraps

Replies
Views
C. Difficult
May 22, 2024 6:35 pm

I have shopped wraps

Login to see image

Specifically made for ostomates and could never justify spending 50 to 70$ CAD for such ugly and ungainly products.

I tried maternity shirt extenders. No go for me. I am 5'8" and 120 lbs and no matter what size I got they were just too tight. I tried bandeau bras but they were too narrow...

I am here with a new solution!!

Tube tops!! 'Tis the season and they're everywhere. If you're in Ontario, I got mine at Ardene for 7 bucks a pop!! Way more streamlined than those lacy things out there for women. Plain cotton and spandex tube tops. 

I have them in black, white, and army green. I am now belt-free!!

See my photos. They're in three stages. Firstly, you put the top on and pull it up just under your chest. Position it as low as you want it. Either tuck it in your pants or put your bag in your pants then do them up. Fold the top down over itself until it just about exposes the top of the bag. Pull your shirt down or tuck it in. Seriously... magic. I bought about 100$ worth. Gonna have this bag for the rest of my life so load up on what works!!

Login to see image

Ben38
May 22, 2024 7:16 pm

Good tip. I remember a few people in the past using tube tops and lycra cycling shorts, cutting them up the legs so they could pull them up over the bag.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

DexieB
May 22, 2024 8:19 pm

Great tip! I ordered 8 of them when I had my colostomy - they work great. :)

w30bob
May 23, 2024 2:05 am

Guess that would make them 'Tube Middles', no?

;O)

Hisbiscus
May 23, 2024 1:38 pm

Great find! I've often looked for tube tops but could never find any. $7 is a reasonable price. I, like you, am sick of paying $27 per wrap. I sometimes wish I had my old sewing machine because I could then go to the fabric store and make myself some wraps.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
Night owl
May 25, 2024 12:56 am

Probably a dumb question, but why does one use something like this? What purpose does it serve? I could understand if the stoma was above the natural waistline or possibly for an intimate bedroom setting, but for everyday?

TIA

Hisbiscus
May 25, 2024 2:18 am
Reply to Night owl

Because it makes a huge difference. Instead of just letting the bag hang loose in your pants to get caught up on things and be uncomfortable, it keeps things contained and in place. You can move around fast at work and home, etc., without any worry. I personally don't feel comfortable without one after I learned of these.

almelia
May 25, 2024 7:42 pm

I'm in the UK and have a variety of tube tops from Primark - my son even spotted some for £1 and just bought them (he lives down the country). I got a few bamboo fabric ones online too.

Arby123
May 25, 2024 9:01 pm

Useful during sex, too :)

anyark
May 25, 2024 9:44 pm

I got tube tops at Walmart. Don't recall the price, but cheap. I just looked at their website, and they have plenty of them at varying prices.

With peace, Anyark

Jane doe
May 26, 2024 1:52 am

I wear cotton spandex panties, which hold my bag fine. I get them from Amazon.

rlevineia
May 26, 2024 3:09 pm
Reply to Jane doe

Colostomy? Ileostomy is under my ribs. Caitlin rocks! She's a homie.

w30bob
May 26, 2024 3:35 pm

Ok... so I got to ask the maybe stupid question here. Since they don't make tube tops for guys (don't mean to offend anyone who's "sexual orientation challenged")... how do you convert women's sizes to men's sizes for such tube tops? We guys also don't want to wear our tube tops so tight our nipples show... so how much bigger do you need to buy them for a more 'relaxed' fit... meaning snug enough not to slide down, but not so tight they press our bag into our stoma? And no sarcastic comments from Crapster on this one... remember, I have your email!

;O)

scooby81472
May 26, 2024 3:51 pm

And it doesn't smash your bag. Sometimes I pancake, so would the two top help me because they raised my ileostomy out of my crease next to my belly button, and now it's really high. Since they've moved it, I get real pancake constantly. Just wondering how well the bow comes out. And then after I have that thick pancake, it'll kind of get watery, but first a.m. and p.m. it's thick, and then it goes to thinner.

Hisbiscus
May 27, 2024 3:38 am
Reply to w30bob

You can look at the hip sizes, etc. Maybe plus size for some. Lol