Stoma Strangulation

Replies
Views
Deborsha
Jun 04, 2024 12:13 am

This may sound stupid but can we strangulate our stoma with cutting the wafer too small?   My Stoma moves all the time is that normal.  

Bob 48
Jun 04, 2024 12:53 am

Yes and yes

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

warrior
Jun 04, 2024 1:27 am

No, it does not sound stupid, nor is it a stupid question. We are all on a learning curve. No worries.

Would I lie to you? 😁

Yes, and yes, as stated by Bob above.

myzx5224
Jun 04, 2024 2:26 am

I am having the same issue with my stoma. The water was the right size when I put it on, and now it feels like it has a slip knot getting tighter. I also just started using the belt for the pouching system. I wonder if it is causing it to feel strangled.

aTraveler
Jun 04, 2024 4:04 am

The stoma will move around. If the wafer is too tight, it can injure your stoma. That is why it is advisable to cut your wafer 1/8" bigger than the stoma. This lets the stoma expand without getting squeezed by a wafer that is too tight. Unfortunately, it is possible for output to get in that opening and onto your skin. For this reason, it is advisable to apply a moldable barrier ring around your stoma before applying the wafer/barrier/flange. Each of the major manufacturers sells barrier rings:

Coloplast has the "Brava Protective Seal."

ConvaTec has the "Eakin Cohesive Slims."

Hollister has the "Adapt Barrier Ring."

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
Beachboy
Jun 04, 2024 4:12 am

Your stoma is a shape-shifting little beast. Mine is always on the move. Inside the moist, warm bag, my stoma expands. Take the bag off, my stoma contracts. So, trying to cut the wafer as close as possible to the stoma size is hard to do. Too close will be uncomfortable and might damage the stoma. Too big a hole, and you'll get leaks and skin irritation.

Use a moldable barrier ring. The ring can be molded and stretched to fit around the stoma. Then cut a larger wafer hole than you normally would. The moldable ring seals to the stoma, the wafer seals to the moldable ring and your skin.

luvram13
Jun 04, 2024 3:10 pm

I wore a transparent bag recently. I tend to not, but I had a doctor's appointment the day I changed it. Anyway, that night, a few hours after dinner, I had output. I was amazed at how much it moves and changes size as it's doing its thing. Kind of creepy actually, but cool.

TerryLT
Jun 04, 2024 8:00 pm

As others have said, a barrier ring will solve the problem. Since you are in Canada, you have access to Salts products. In my opinion, they make the best barrier rings. I use the aloe-infused rings, which are very kind to your skin, and they will also increase your wear time. I highly recommend them. Good luck.

Terry

Deborsha
Jun 05, 2024 12:13 am

Thank you, Terry.

IGGIE
Jun 05, 2024 8:58 am
Reply to Deborsha

Good day, Deborah, cut the hole in the base plate with a little clearance and then use a sealing washer, and that will fill in the gap as long as it's a good fit to start with. Regards IGGIE

infinitycastle52777
Jun 06, 2024 9:49 pm

I always think it is funny when my stoma moves around. I know it's working on something special in the poop department. As others have said, yes, if you cut your wafer too small, it can harm your stoma. If you ever look at your stoma and it's purple, you should change your bag/wafer right away and make the hole bigger. You don't want to see your stoma change colors like that. It should be a nice rosy red.

Kimmy050263
Jun 07, 2024 6:19 pm

Oh yes, my stoma was constantly changing. It would shrink, then grow. When my boyfriend changed my bag, he would go through the plastic and give her a little tug to make sure she was pulled out. There were times, though, that I would peek in the bag and think she was going to shrink up and go underneath the wafer and bag, then she would expel something and was back to normal.

Before I left the hospital after my surgery, the nurse had my boyfriend take a video of the bag change procedure. It was amazing to watch it several months later and see the changes in Ms. Stoma. She was pretty big after surgery! As time went on, she had shrunk a lot.

Kim

Hisbiscus
Jun 08, 2024 2:21 am

Yes, it can hurt really bad if it's too tight. I don't know about strangulation, but mine was quite uncomfortable when I used to get it too tight. Sometimes painful. Our stomas will get big then go down again, especially with gas. I think that is why they say to leave a little wiggle room. Then, as time goes on, it can get smaller or bigger with weight gain or weight loss as a factor too.