Urine problems after colostomy? Any solutions?

Replies
Views
supernan

Hi, does anyone out there have any experience of urine problems after a colostomy? I had a bladder fistula removed at the same time and just wondered if anybody also had problems in this. The main problem is that it goes absolutely everywhere and I hadn't mentioned this to anybody until this morning when I was moaning to a friend about it, and she used to care for a lady that had the same problem after having the op, so it made me wonder if it was a common problem. If so, any solutions? Thanks for reading, I think I'm just crazy or at least my body is!!

DH

Hi, yes I have had problems urinating since my colostomy. But the problem I have is that when I go, I feel pressure as I am trying to squeeze the urine out. I told my surgeon about it during my follow-up with him. He said it could be from having the urine catheter inside of me for the week I was in the hospital. Sometimes people have difficulty urinating afterward. But he told me as long as I am passing urine and it is clear, I have nothing to worry about and the problem should go away eventually.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,371 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

supernan

Thanks for that DH. I agree mine has never been the same since the catheter came out, although it was a big relief as I had to keep mine in for 3 weeks. But this problem has definitely gotten worse, but on taking a sample this morning as I think I have an infection, I think it may be that I have another fistula. I am going to get the urine test dipped today and if it is an infection, then I might mention it to the doctor.

rosiemoe

I've had bladder problems since my stoma surgery 3 years ago. I find that now when I have to go, I really have to go. Also, laughing, sneezing, and coughing are best avoided. I used to get shooting pains in the bladder area, but a scan showed nothing. I also think it's to do with being pulled about in surgery, having a catheter fitted for weeks, and loss of muscle tone due to being cut.
I hope you're feeling better.

Past Member
Hi - I had an ostomy almost 2 years ago due to anal cancer, so I didn't have previous continuing problems like the Crohn's sufferers do, but after my ostomy I have had leakage problems. I've been trying to strengthen my muscles by doing the Kegel exercises (I think maybe they might be helping?). I do an "Irrigation" every other night, so I get time in my tub as the water drains out to try to do the exercises then!

I was led to believe that it isn't an uncommon side effect because of all the handling and moving around of our various parts when the doctors are inside of us doing their "thing".

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
supernan

Thanks for the comments, it seems that perhaps it is more of a common problem than I thought. It turned out that I didn't have an infection but was told to keep drinking plenty in case one was just starting! I still think I have another fistula but as I can't have any more surgery I will just be careful to look after it. I just wish I had mentioned it while I was still under the doctors to find out for sure, but I'm sure everything will be fine. At least I have the experience of dealing with one as I had a bowel to bladder one before and that was worse. At least it is only urine coming out this time!