Looking for a Reusable Rubber Wafer

Replies
Views
Jazx
Nov 26, 2011 12:24 am

Is there a wafer for something out there that I can buy two and just switch every week? I tried to look up the history of wafers to see how people did it 30-50 years ago.

Thanks!
tess45
Nov 26, 2011 3:27 pm

Not sure what you are referring to - what kind of wafer and what are you using it for?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Jazx
Nov 26, 2011 3:49 pm
Hi Tess,

I have an ileostomy and a few years ago, I met a man who uses a rubber wafer and he has two of them. He switches every week the wafer for 50 years. Since I pay for all of my supplies, I am looking into alternative, less disposable methods.

Thanks,
Past Member
Nov 26, 2011 3:50 pm

There used to be rubber flanges, thinks that's the same as wafers, but I don't know if they're still in use. You could ask your health provider or ring some supply reps up. Good luck. Ambies.

Bumba
Nov 29, 2011 2:21 am

50 years ago, I used plastic wafers from Torbot Company in Rhode Island. I had a few, at least two at a time, and switched off when I needed to change.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Play
Jazx
Dec 14, 2011 4:16 am
Hi Bumba,

Why did you stop using them? How long did they last?

Thanks.
Jazx
Dec 14, 2011 4:24 am
Hi Ambies,

I asked my healthcare provider, but they don't know. I have an ET that I hope to ask soon. She was a nurse with my mother. She is about 85 now but still practicing nursing with ostomy.

I wanted to ask - how is the Crohn's treating you? I have my ups and downs due to food. The bag is still a huge source of embarrassment for me. I'm going to ask for information from members in a different post.

Thanks,
Past Member
Dec 14, 2011 10:34 pm

Hi Jaz, fortunately my Crohn's seems okay but I keep having blockages. I'm having tests done to see if my Crohn's is active or not, but I still have ups and downs. I hope you get more responses from others if you can about rubber wafers. I do know there are some people who still use them. I see a stoma nurse once a month, I will ask her if she has any information on how to obtain one. I will post on here as soon as I have any news for you... Tc, good luck... Ambies.