Hopefully someone will have an answer

Replies
Views
weewee

How much of your colon can be removed? And still go through a reversal without ending up in dialysis and or the other option I was told is that if the colon was too short even though not on a bag, I would know of every bathroom, outhouse, due to colon being short it would be no different than being on a bag but without a bag or end up with an ileostomy and relocation of where my stoma would be moved to if they go through with the surgery. I have already lost 30 inches between the surgeries I have had due to Hirschsprung.

I will talk to you all later.

Past Member

I knew a couple of people years ago who had their entire colon removed and part of their small intestine as well and had the reversal done successfully.    Keeping in mind, the colon or large intestine can be 6-8 feet long in an adult and the small intestine anywhere between 20-30 feet in length....as I was always told by my surgeon.    They tried a reversal on me as well, but I ended up with another bad Crohn's attack and my reversal went out the window.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,361 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

junopete
Wee wee, there are a couple of things going on here. First, you can have all of your colon removed and a reversal done using a J pouch if your anus is still intact, mainly the muscle. Many people having this done find they use the bathroom maybe about 6 times a day. This is after about 1 year of your body getting used to the J pouch.
In some cases, the colon is removed; however, the rectum or rectal stump, as some doctors call it, is intact and not diseased (sp) is left in place. If that is the case, it gives much more storage capacity than just the J pouch alone. A person can, with the help of Imodium or Lomotil (sp), get to about 2 to 3 times a day, diet permitting.

I found it is very hard to get reliable information on this subject. I have yet to find a doctor that gives the whole story, both upside and downside, and side effects. So many things are learned the hard way and after the fact.

Ask lots of questions, know exactly where this thing is taking you. Be relentless about your questions. Don't let the doctors shine you on with a short explanation.

Good luck

Rick.....
Snowwhite
Hi. I have had my entire large intestines removed, including the rectum (it is sewn up). I have also had most of my small intestines removed as well......At last count, there was approximately 3-4 feet of the small bowel left. My ileostomy is permanent. A J pouch was not an option because I have Crohn's. I have heard good and bad about reversals. I would think that it would be a discussion between you and your doctor and getting all the info. BTW....You wondered about dialysis?? Do you mean Dialysis? That is a treatment when your kidneys have failed. Good luck.
weewee

Thanks guys for your answers. I just got back from camping. WOOT, what fun! And yes, the doctors don't want you knowing anything and do give you short answers. I don't take it from them. I get more info from everyone on this site and go to bat with that overpaid A$$ lol. And he gets a dumb look, and then I might get some answers close to what everyone says. They like the maybe world, not the real world too much.
Talk to all soon.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
gutenberg
nbsp;

OK, so I quot;M a dumb Bunny (been called worse but I keep hearing about this J POuch, is this something that is inserted into the abdomen, or another external Pouch, enquiring minds wants to know
Whoa
"J" pouch:
Usual candidates are those who have had their colon (large intestine, large bowel, all the same thing) removed due to UC or Familial Polyposis. The anal sphincter must be free of disease and competent. A pouch is created from a portion of the small intestine to make a holding vessel for stool, and connected to the rectal stump. Stool is liquid and enzymatic as it is basically a "continent" ileostomy, no pouch. Stooling frequency varies from person to person, diet, competency of sphincter, volume the pouch can hold which differs , etc. but average is 5-9x/day. Continence varies also depending on sphincter control, diet, and how you individual intestine reacts. Most folks have slight stool seepage at night. Peri anal skin protection and using a pad is a common. How long you can "hold" stool prior to seeking a rest room is individual.

Diet control, Immodium or Lomotil, sometimes even Metamucil or bran can help slow down the stool frequency and thicken it up.

Statistically, satisfaction with lifestyle after a year whether you have an ileostomy or a J pouch appears to be pretty equal. J pouches have a higher incidence of re-surgery, potential pouchitis; some have to be "taken down" (removed).I have had a couple patients have their pouches removed as continence was poor.If Crohns disease, one is not a candidate. Occasionally what biopsies and presents as UC has later been found to be Crohn's, and pouch was taken down.Much as some may have continence issues, others may have strictures and require re-surgery or dilitaion to keep things open in the rectal stump. In all, the up side is maintaining your anatomy and no external pouch. Psychologically this is very important to many and they opt for the J pouch.The surgery may be done in 1, 2, or 3 step process depending on the individual medical condition and surgeon. Takes a bit longer to get back to normal lifestyle than conventional ileostomy.
Comparing with an ileostomy: Upside: Faster and simpler surgery, less re operation, less complication rate. Stool is contained in an external pouch (we hope!! a little ostomy humor....) . Frequency of emptying and need to slow down the stool flow is about the same. Skin is protected by the appliance. Downside: there can be containment issues (!!) Food blockages from what I have experienced with patients can be more troublesome, so diet restrictions may be a bit more, depending.Having a pouch on the abdomen can be difficult to adjust to for some.

Some folks have the small intestine sewn directly to the rectum without a "j" pouch; some still have good continence but more frequent stools and have to watch their diet more carefully.

Medical condition, age and other factors may influence your surgeons or your own decision of what is the best operation for you.I say "for some" as everyone is an individual with their own sets of thoughts and circumstances. I couldn't say that one procedure is "better" than the other, that is for the individual and their physician to decide what is most appropriate and risks or not they wish to take.

There is a good web page: www.uoaa.org with explanations of both. Look on the left, the menu I think says ostomy info. You can read or download info on all types of ostomies and continent procedures.

Hope this helps.
gutenberg
Well I've always wandered since I heard the term. I had asked my surgeon about the possibility of having a reversal and in his nicest way told me I could ask any questions I wanted but in the end I would have to make that decision alone. When I told him I have constant diarrhea, would I have the same after. END OF STORY, I keep the pouch. Also, my sister, who worked in Emergency Rooms for many years, told me of many horror stories she had come across in the ER, so she says Ed get that shit out of your head, You're dealing with this much better than I thought you would. SO FORGET IT. OK, yeah OK, and I did.