Help with lopsided stoma and wafer fit

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses tips and advice for managing a lopsided stoma and achieving a proper wafer fit.
Ovarian cancer chic
Hello all! I am new to posting in a forum. I hope I am doing this right.
I have had my ileo for a year now. My stoma is kinda lopsided. The right side sticks out more than the left side. Does anyone else have this? I am having a problem with my wafer being flush with the skin around the stoma. The side that isn't sticking out as much, the wafer lifts up. Does this make sense?? I don't know how to explain it. The product I use is Convatec two piece. I have used paste and the cohesive rings with no luck. I also wear a belt to help put pressure on that side so it will stay flush. I have to wear it pretty tight, which I don't care for. I hope someone can help me. Thank you, LP
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Perhaps a convex wafer?

Paste is more about caulking irregularities than it is about adhesion.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Ovarian cancer chic

That is what I am using. Convex.

ron in mich

Hi LP, I kinda have the same problem as my stoma opening is at skin level and I have a dip around the bottom side of it, so it's hard to get a good seal. I cut the opening so it's as close to my stoma as possible and use paste to fill in the dip at the bottom. I've been doing this for about 27 years now. Good luck with yours. Ron in Mich.

notexpectingthis
Look at Marlen products on your supply provider's website. Your bag may be too convex? Marlen has one with shallow convexity - it sticks better than any bag I have tried. The sticky stuff sort of feels like one of those blister-type band-aids, so it moves easier with my body. My stoma is completely recessed, so it wants to leak all the time! I have to agree with Sinful Slot - the paste is just not a good adhesive. Have you tried to flatten out the barrier ring on the sides of the stoma that stick out more, and leave it thick where the stoma is shorter? A one-piece works better for me because taking the bag on and off of the ring makes the flange want to lift. Sorry you're having trouble, hun!

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Ovarian cancer chic

Thanks for the info. I think it's time to look into some other types of products. What are some names of ostomy products? I looked into Marlen and requested samples. Thanks again. LP

Past Member

I switched from Convatec to Coloplast. Their US customer service is usually pretty good.

Casey & George
To Ovarian Cancer Chic: Go to www.edgepark.com for medical supply catalog or ordering online. I use Coloplast mostly. Hollister and Convetec are big names too. I've only had my colostomy since January, but I am an 11-year survivor of OvCa.
Past Member

So, OCC, how's it going with the gear?

Past Member

Thanks for sharing this post. ConvaTec is a global medical products and technologies company. We are providing services like therapeutics, ostomy care, continence and critical care, and infusion devices, etc...

More information visit:

Ostomy Bag ;/ Stoma Care ;/ Ileostomy Bag ;