Swimming with a Stoma: A Great Experience!

Replies
Views
tim1948

Was in my daughter's swimming pool for 2-3 hours last Sat. First time in 3 years since my stoma was installed. It was great. My wafer is fine, as a matter of fact, I am still wearing the same one today (Wed). So c'mon people... Enjoy yourselves!!!

notexpectingthis

My pool has been calling my name all summer!!!! I waded in the shallow end but the damn bag refuses to stay put! Epic fail!!! Glad you had a great day!!!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,368 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

callie

Not expecting this - Don't understand how your bag won't stay put? With the lycra/spandex in swimming suits, it should hold everything in place. If not, wear a lightweight girdle under your swimsuit. I have been swimming for years, in saltwater, rivers, ponds, and pools, and have never had a problem. Hope this helps you to enjoy the rest of the summer in the pool.

tim1948

I don't understand how your bag won't stay put either? What kind of wafer do you use? Do you have uneven skin which gives you a problem with good contact? I just changed the wafer I swam with on Saturday an hour ago and it was fine.??????

notexpectingthis

I use a one-piece Marlen bag. My stoma is recessed - I am a little "fluffy" LOL!

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Green Eyed Lady

Tim1948: I'm like you. Like almost everybody else living in FL, I have a pool right in my backyard and use it every single day (weather permitting)!! I can swim all day and my wafer still stays on 5-7 days even with swimming and showering. I guess I'm lucky. You are, too! I'm a bit confused when I see others blogging that they are afraid to shower or swim and I wonder why. My ileostomy has not stopped me from doing anything I love, nor would I let it!! I've only had mine 4 years, and have only recently come to terms with it being part of me for the rest of my life...so, now I'm going to go for even more fun activities and not let it stop me. You do the same! PS: I don't have to use any "tape" either while in water!

Past Member

I have to work up the courage, or just make myself experiment in the bathtub with a submerged appliance.

budd002

One word....TAPE!!! I put surgical tape around the edges and I'm just fine!! I don't think I even need to do that but it makes me feel better...

Zebbie

I was having a problem with my wafer coming off around the edges and that was taking the fun out of swimming for me. I could not get my mind off of what was going on under my bathing suit, so I went and had a talk with the owner of my medical supply store and he suggested
SURE SEAL RINGS. Wow, it works great. You will never have to worry again. It's like a second skin on around the edges of your wafer, plus you can wear it at all times, if you are having any problems with your wafer or just for more reassurance.

I hope this helps.

ron in mich

Hi all, I'm like budd002 and just use pink tape around the edges. I've gone into hot tubs and cold Lake Superior and never had any problems. Good luck, Ron in Mich.

honeygirl

I agree with using Sure Seal rings. They give you so much confidence. Also, you might take a look at www.ostomysecrets.com and check out their panties and wraps. They also make some that are water friendly and this might be just the thing for you.

Hope this helps.
imtheone

I don't get it. I have to change my bag every other day or it leaks. It has never stopped bleeding since day one, and water? Forget about it. I have tried EVERYTHING over the years and cannot feel safe in bed, much less in water. Someone, please tell me what you use. WAFERS? I can't get them to even stick.

notexpectingthis

I used a Marlen bag with shallow convexity and an Eakin seal for backup. So sorry you are having trouble, my friend. Don't use any adhesive remover as this is a likely culprit to keep them from staying stuck properly. I always cleaned my skin with Ivory soap and water. Don't know if this will help? Prayers!

imtheone

Thank you, I don't use remover and I use Ivory soap also. Eakin seal? I have tried seals and they just don't stick, don't know.

ZaliBee

I use a Hollister 2-piece with the floating flange and I've been swimming since the first summer of my ileostomy and I've never had a leak. I'll wear it at least 2 days after swimming as well.

blueonthetyne

This is my first summer with my ileostomy, and even though we are having beautiful weather at the moment, I'm very nervous about the beach. I've bought wraps, and they are great for wearing t-shirts and vests, but I've not cracked the beach yet. I will do it. I feel so well and healthy, so that's gotta be a start.