DIY Stoma Seal: Affordable alternatives to STOMAPLEX?

Replies
Views
gutenberg
Greetings to all my ostimate family out there. I have a question especially for all those do-it-yourselfers out there. On the left side of the forum pages there is an add for helping to get an almost perfect seal around your stoma, you know that little part of the flange that surrounds your stoma and you can't get your fingers in there and achieve equal pressure all around that narrow strip at the same time, the company is called, STOMAPLEX, and the simple gadget they have come up with is a piece of soft, mould-able plastic of some sort and its hollow so it slips over the stoma and all you have to do is hold it down for about ten seconds and it will give you a perfect seal and as most all leaks start at the stoma where there is even a tiny opening, and this is especially true with ileostomies and after watching this add a couple of times I got to thinking surely someone can come up with something almost as good especially people who work with clear plastic hose. So keep an eye out on the left side of the pages and have a look at what they have come up with. I've already thought of a few ways to mimic this simple apparatus but I would like to hear from someone else to see what they can come up with. I know that there is no more than a few cents worth of materials in this gadget and it just bugs the hell out of me to have to pay $25.00 for one even if it is a good gadget to help stop leaks from happening. EQUALIZER. Ed
DeanRox

Hello Mr. Gutenberg,

I believe you are right, there are many substitutions for that device. The first thing that came to mind is a small thick glass, such as a shot glass. I would bet everyone has something around their house that would work in place of the "equalizer". I will let you know what I find to try. Good luck! Larry

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

gutenberg
Hi Larry and thanks for that idea, it just happens I have a shot glass right in front of me and my caliper, and the shot glass has 1 3/4 inch opening and I'm sure that size would work for people with a larger stoma. In My case I needed a 1 1/2 inch OD. After going around my shed I found a piece of ABS that worked pretty good, I think?, but it would be better if the plastic was just a shade thicker, like in a shot glass, good idea there Larry. I found out with the black pipe I couldn't tell that something was escaping until it was too late, sh#t, now with a shot glass it couldn't get out, so a much better idea. I think I'll walk around with my caliper in my pocket for a while. So I thank you for a good idea, Ed
eddie

How about a piece of PVC pipe?
Eddie

gutenberg
eddie, it shows you're thinking gal, only problem is, and I hate to admit it, But I don't know the difference between ABS and PVC, maybe somebody could enlighten me, Ed

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
ron in mich

Hi Gutenberg, why not just get a larger size wafer? I know the reps say that if your stoma is this size, you need such and such size wafer to fit properly. But I don't believe that because I've tried using the smaller recommended size and it made no difference for me. Or just go to your local hardware store and browse the pipe fitting aisle. Good luck, Ron in Mich. PS: Bring your calipers.

eddie

It is the same thing sorry Ed!
Eddie

texazgal

I use an empty pill bottle that just fits around the stoma. I am sure you can find something around the house that will do it for you.

gutenberg
Hi texasgal, I like the idea of the pill bottle, the ones I got are either too big or too small, I think I know my pharmacists well enough to get a few samples. Thanks for your input all, Ed

PS: ron in michigan, I have flanges that are larger and even with the seals I was still getting the leaks, maybe bad batches, but all leaks have to start from around the stoma. Thanks for your input, i appreciate all the replies. We ostimates gotta stick together.
nogutz

Hi Ed,

I thought you were talking about the flanges and the skin sticking together. Where did us ostomates sticking together get into the mix? Cause I am thinking a hot sticky day would be best for that.

Take care,

Noguts

gutenberg
Hi Tom, as usual you come up with something witty and its always appreciated. Anyway as long as we all belong to this site we are stuck with each other, and a nicer bunch you'll not find anywhere.
Take care my friend, Ed
Mrs.A

What about the old-time black film case we used to use when we would send out our pictures to get developed?

gutenberg
Good one Mrs.A, it just struck me, do they still make film like that? All ideas are welcome.Ed
Some of these ideas will be useful to some as there are many different sizes.