Help with recurring blockage issues?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses strategies and advice for managing and preventing recurring blockage issues related to ostomy care.
djcwiley

I've presented this subject before and I'm currently doing a bit better with blockage, but I still find myself in bed for days with blockage; at least 2x a month. I have a permanent ileostomy and had complete removal of large intestine, rectum, and anus. My low residue diet is limited because I can't have any fruit, veggies, or anything with skin because of the constant blockage issue. Please shed some new light on this subject for me. I do all the super green products, like chlorella, and probiotics, enzymes, and immune health vitamins.

Debra

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

scotiaman
Hi DJ... Blockages... not fun at all.... My ilio and other surgeries mirror your own, that said let's get straight to blockages... I don't have them regularly but here are a few thoughts on the subject.
- Be sure to keep yourself well hydrated... Consuming beer, wine, etc. doesn't help this issue.
- Stay away from foods with high salt content, as they dehydrate.
- Beans are high in fiber, but I have noted they move slowly through the digestive system. Therefore, slow-moving foods can back up other food items and cause bottlenecks in the digestive tract.
- Vegetables and fruits must be well cooked, and in your case, I would suggest well mashed and cut... Maybe processed in a blender.... I had a 4-day blockage this summer, the result of dehydration and the rough fiber from a salad, broccoli, and asparagus. Especially the latter... Those long stringy fibers, along with any fruit or vegetable skins, can intermingle and create what I will call a bird's nest effect in the bowel, causing an obstruction. That was essentially what came through my bowel this past summer after 4 days of blockage... A mesh of interwoven fibers.
- My suggestion... Cook regular meals, blend them in a blender. If that fails, you should talk to the surgeon. There may be a twist in the bowel causing a narrowing of the passage. If mushy food is okay... Start to increase its degree of solids by, say, 25%, noting if the blockage is routinely in the same location and note other recurring similarities.
- Maybe this helps a bit... I hope... Best of luck.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
djcwiley

Scott, thank you. It confirms what I thought might be the cause of my recent blockage. I will continue to be careful with my diet, but sometimes it seems like I can only eat about a dozen different things and it gets old.

Just trying to bring a brighter day to my world.

Debra

beatrice

Remind me how long it's been since your operation, Debra?

Reason I ask is that what I (complete ileo and then protectomy) could eat has improved over the years since I had my op (2009).

Everyone is so different though - but if you are in the early days/years ... there could be improvement.

Love Scotiaman's explanation ... that 'birdsnest' analogy is so bang on.

My biggest issue is that I tend to eat too much at one go (even if it's the ok foods - too much and I can sure feel it!). Small meals is definitely the best. There are lots of food I avoid and problem foods sometimes aren't what I would expect. Pizza ... I can eat it - I chew very well and drink fluids. Any fresh fruit - fuggetabout. Veggies ... recently (last year or so) I can eat Romaine lettuce and am SO happy. Carrots have to be cooked super soft - same with potatoes. Anything else - no. And sometimes, combinations cause the problem. Mashed potatoes are fine, but with a romaine salad and bit of a bun .. blockage.

Trial and error. Just make sure the trials are not much more than 1 or 2 bites.

All the best.

Snookis Mum
Debra - I also suffered from several bad blockages in the first year or so after my surgery, five of which landed me in the hospital.

I have learned to anticipate them and prevent them. If I feel some discomfort and less output to the bag, I drink lots of hot tea, and walk about as much as I can, and then put myself in the knee-to-chest position for a while. Then do it all over again until the discomfort goes away, and there is a release into the bag.

I have increased the different types of foods that I eat - in very small, very well-chewed portions at first - but I could not imagine living on the no-fiber diet that was suggested. I now eat whole grains, nuts (very well chewed), peeled fruit (no oranges), well-cooked veggies, and as long as I am aware of how it is digesting, I have been just fine.

Just be careful.

Best,

Sandi

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
heshootshescores
Hello Debra, my name is Neil, and I have the same situation. I have a permanent ileostomy and perineal closure (rectum and anus removed). I too have had blockages occur, one more recently, and for me, they last about 24 hours. I have had three blockages in total, and the thing I notice the most is the pain is bad, like being constipated. I have found that they go away on their own, but I have been told to take myself to the emergency department at my hospital when the next one happens. They told me they will do a type of CT scan to find the cause, but they can only do this when I am actually experiencing a blockage. I don't know the cause yet, my only lead is that I ate a really heavy breakfast cereal (All-Bran) the day the first blockage happened. So I am being careful with what I put into my body and trying to find as much information as I can about these occurrences because I am kind of afraid of knowing I'll have to go to the hospital the next time I get clogged. Thanks... Bye.
cwindebary

Hi all: I don't go on the site very often, but I do wonder if you all have the same feelings that I have. My surgery was in March 2009, and I had a colorectal resection (anus removal), colostomy, etc. Do you feel the urge for a bowel movement in what was the anus, and do you have a constant pressure, especially when standing?
Carol

djcwiley

Interesting, this was certainly helpful because consider how combination of food can cause blockage. As for when I had my surgery, it has been almost exactly a year and yes I can now eat romaine lettuce too for the first time.

This is the kind of information you can't get anywhere else unless it's from experienced ostomy patients. It's my goal to create a site that has a wiki so all this good advice is in categories for others because too much suffering is being experienced by new ostomates.

Thank you so very much.

djcwiley

I used to have pressure in my pelvic floor and have been diagnosed with pelvic floor dysfunction, which has no cure other than physical therapy. I do have some sudden urges of gas wanting to be expelled from the rectum, but not often.

I do thank all of you, and I believe we all agree that this subject causes the most terrifying experience, and we need more information documented. I'm willing to gather this information, so please provide feedback.

This site has been the most beneficial for getting really good options for our daily challenges. And all of the members are so kind and offer so much empathy.

Debra