Who knows about parastomal hernias?

Replies
Views
bevck41

Hi, is there a fellow ostomate out there that knows much about parastomal hernias? 4 months ago, I had surgery for a hernia and at the same time, the surgeon re-fashioned my stoma. Then, after I had been home for 4 days, I got an abscess and ended up with peritonitis and had emergency surgery. Anyway, 4 months later, my hernia has come back. Is this normal, and what is the success rate with a hernia repair? I really don't want to go down that track again. Very confused!

Past Member

Hi, I had an ileostomy 12 months ago and have a hernia. I have heard that repair is not very successful. I tried all the support garments and belts that my stoma nurse had, and nothing was of any use and so uncomfortable. I found one belt on the web which is absolutely brilliant. It is the Nu Hope support belt. I wear it all the time, have even gone to bed with it on. It is so comfortable and the hernia is no problem now. Hope this helps. Peter.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,362 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lottagelady
Hi, I have a huge parastomal hernia, which the docs want me to have sorted - however, it will mean a huge op including a repair to my recto-vaginal fistula and the changing of my loop ileostomy to an end ileostomy. I believe that hernia repairs are only likely to have a 50% success rate (?, please correct me if I am wrong, which I hope I am!), which I assume will be reduced if you already have a hole in the muscle - ie the stoma ?

As to hernia support, none of the ones available from my Stoma Nurse were man enough for the job! In the end, I had to have them specially "built" by the Orthotics dept of my local hospital (not sure where in the world you are? I am in England....so it is provided by the NHS). It is not a pretty garment as you can imagine, but it does do the trick - it is similar to the Nu-Hope garment mentioned previously, but is much bigger and I suspect somewhat stronger!

I have decided that the prospect of all that surgery is too much for me to bear at this moment in time, so hope to postpone it for a year at least unless it needs doing in an emergency. Good luck in whatever you decide, Rachel x
panhead511

I have had a peristomal hernia and had it repaired on July first. I still have a problem after 2 months. Also, at that time I had a resection (rectum removal). I am still recovering from the surgery. All that I can say is that life is better since the surgery. I do hope that you have a speedy recovery. It is not easy, but it will improve your quality of life. Hang in there and everything will be okay! I hope that you will experience the luxury of not having to use the bathroom ever again. It has taken me a good two months to heal. Best wishes to you. LOL

Past Member

I had a parastomal hernia in 2004. I remember it well - sick as a dog for 14 hours, taken by ambulance to the hospital. I was truly blocked and had emergency surgery later that day. I spent 3 weeks in the hospital as the NHS gave me 2 free bugs. But I was back to work after 6 weeks. While I was open, they reworked things a bit but steered clear of using gauze. However, in hindsight, I would have considered it. Since then, no repeat, although I did get an abscess in 2006. But this was cut open and drained while I watched, and I was discharged 6 hours later. They think it was caused by an internal body cavity. The hernia was self-inflicted by abdominal crunches, so my doctor banned me from them and exercise in general for 6 months.    I think a support belt may help post-op so that the surrounding muscle can settle and strengthen. Even a cough can make it pop back out.    I think another visit to the hospital for further surgery is very likely, most certainly within 5 years or so.    I have not tried a belt, but some that have give a thumbs up. I avoid heavy lifting now and touch wood, so far so good!

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Lifechange

Hi there. I too have a huge parastomal hernia which I was going to have reversed but have since been diagnosed with breast cancer. It was a tiny lump found in a routine mammogram which has been removed. (Just the lump not the whole breast) I will be starting chemo in 3 weeks then radiation after that. Getting back to my hernia looks like it will be put on the back burner for about a year. After reading stories about reversals etc, I wonder what I should do!!! I have had my colostomy for close on two years now. I'm still trying to find a suitable support garment but don't have a very big range here in NZ. Are there any other ostomates here with similar issues that could maybe suggest something. Am very tempted to make my own. PS. I also have a smaller hernia further up on the right hand side so I do need a wide support garment LOL