Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships 21,279 members

After my colostomy reversal and hernia repair

Talk to people who understand you Sign up today - for many, our community has been a life-changing experience.
Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:12 pm
Hi, just to keep you all up to date I had my operation on the 14th October was in hospital for 5 days I have done very well all seems to be settling down obviously tender and sore.

I have been told not to lift anything for a while and certainly to avoid anything heavy.

However I do have a question when you suffer with a hernia and you get it repaired and you give it plenty rest over the weeks/months can you carry on as normal in other words are you able to lift things that could be regarded quite heavy or is it best to never lift again due to a probable risk of a hernia happening again. Am just a little confused. take care pippa
Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:19 pm
oh congrats!   so good to hear of a positive reversal experience.  I'm glad you're recovering well...thanks for sharing your experience.  I hope to have my reversal in February or March....doing Kegal exercises and trying to stay healthy in preperation for the 'event' Smile

Stay strong,

Sharon
Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:42 am
Hi Facingmyfears, firstly what a great nickname , I hope what I have said will be a positive thought for you with your up and coming operation . I wont pretend I was so scared of the operation only from my past experience but of course all was fine. I have to say having never being ill and then having to deal with this " disability " was devastating for me , but I learned to deal with it but I have a greater understanding now of people with disability although I thought I did before. If you want to chat am here. Take care Pippa
Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:46 am
Hi Beyondpar, lovely to get an email from you I would love to chat with you about my colostomy repair etc but I am not a full member on this site so I cant email you back I could give you my private email for you to contact me if I am allowed to put my email on not sure let me know. Hope to hear from you soon. pippa
Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:18 am
Hi Boss, lovely to get an email from you , I cant reply to you via email because am not a full member.

I had my colostomy reversed and at the same time my hernia repaired it was called a Parastomal Hernia.

So you where recommended not to lift anything excessively heavy again ? because my job can involve heavy lifting on occasions. Thanks for your view and welcome anything else that may be useful to me. You speak about a belt what is it ? and where would I get one ? would I really need one no one has told me any of this. Many thanks pippa
Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:43 pm
Hi Pippa, I am nolonger a full member so cannot recieve or email others, in answer to your question usually you are not to lift anything over 40 lbs. is what I have been told although your doctor would know best,  I try to reduce my lifting but because of my job thats pretty impossible, glad everything went well
Eddie
Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:45 pm
hello again, of course you have to be totally healed first
Eddie
Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:32 pm
hey congrats on your reversal. i would be extra careful about lifting anything heavier than a diet coke for about 6 weeks.  in my opinion about 50% of active ostomates{or possibly anyone who has had abdomenial surgery} will develope a hernia..... so i would try to avoid any heavy lifting from now on. unfortunately most folks who work...simply cant avoid it. keep us posted......
Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:26 am
Dear Pippa,

Congratulations on your reversal as well from me.

I've been an ostomate now for 23 years and though I've had my ups and downs over the years one thing I can say is that I've never had a hernia myself.

Hopefully I haven't just jinxed myself saying that either......  Though I'm not a nurse or doctor I do agree with what mmsh said about being careful with lifting heavy objects......I usually give myself a good workout when I buy my 40lbs of dog food and cat litter!
Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:57 pm
I also had a peristomal hernia that had a "temporary" repair when I had my reversal surgery. The surgeons didn't do a mesh permanent repair because they said the mesh might cause abrasions on my intestine around the temporary ileostomy I now have. When I have the final surgery for the reconnection they will do a mesh repair of the hernia. In reading posts on this site I learned that many hernia repairs have to be repeated as they recur. I've been told it would be wise to wear a flat panel hernia belt after the repair, especially when I know I will be doing any lifting. They are available from Nu Hope 800-899-5017. Good luck.
Bamatex
Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:10 pm
Would love to chat with you on your reversal but I too am in the process of becoming a full member they say not to post email address so until I am full member Im not sure how to address this issue... if you have any ideas please let me know
sincerely
Dee
Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:12 pm
Did you have a pelvis pouch  procedure preformed?
Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:04 pm
Dee, I've tried to post contact info before but the site somehow manages to remove it. I think they just remove the entire message. If you really want to talk w/ me you can get my number from directory assistance in Houston. my name is larry wiggin (w/ no s). If you call & don't get an answer just leave a message w/ your  number & I will call you back. Good luck.
Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:26 pm
Hi, firstly a big thankyou for your comments I guess I will have to change my job because it involves heavy lifting, when I eventually go back to work. I really dont want anymore operations .
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.