Prolapsed Rectum: Seeking Advice

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses experiences and advice related to managing and coping with a prolapsed rectum.
Mayoman

Hi there, my friends.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill
Hello Mayoman.This was part of the reason for my own ostomy and I can well understand someone opting for a liquid diet as having stools pushing down on a prolapse can be absolute agony and the hard stools definitely made things worse. I'm not so sure that a liquid diet is 'bad' or 'wrong' as many of these conditions are much more likely to be hereditary. In my own case they tried pulling it up and pinning it to my spine (or that's how they described it) This procedure didn't work as it wasn't long before it came away and I had the same problem over again. However, it sounded like a good idea and I thought it was worth a try before opting for a colostomy. The medical advice that I was given at the time was that a colostomy was the only thing that would sort out the problem on a permanent basis.as I was chronically incontinent of faeces I thought that it would be easier to managed via an ostomy than from the anus and this has indeed proved to be the case. As for the least and worst case scenario - the condition is unlikely to get 'better' in the longer term so whatever state she is in at the moment is probably her bottom-line.(excuse the pun)The worst case scanario that I have known was probably that of my brother who had the prolapse hanging out of his anus by at least six inches. There was no 'solution' for him as he died in an accident when he was still quite young. I hope that this helps in your deliberations.Best wishes Bill
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Mayoman

Thank you so much, Bill, for the input, much appreciated. I wondered how long ago your procedure was performed and if there might be new developments in the field. I would rather get the info from a patient rather than some medical journal. The problem is that this lady would have problems dealing with a colostomy and from my personal knowledge of their situation, it would be a nightmare for her and her husband. I'm hoping for a bit more input before her surgery is scheduled. Thank you again, Bill, for the info. All the best to you and your family.

Bill
Hello Mayoman.My memory for dates (or most things) is terrible. but the pinning process was probably about 20 years ago and the colostomy about 10 years. Best wishes Bill
Mayoman

Thank you, Bill. Your informative and helpful messages are always welcome. Mayoman

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Bill
Hello Mayoman.My memory for dates (or most things) is terrible. but the pinning process was probably about 20 years ago and the colostomy about 10 years. Best wishes Bill
Mayoman

Thank you, Bill. Your informative and helpful messages are always welcome. Mayoman