Hollister Velcro Pouch: Closure Issues After Usage?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses experiences and advice related to potential closure issues with the Hollister Velcro pouch after usage.
GraphX12

I have a question for any and all Hollister New Image Drainable Pouch users with the Velcro closure. Do you experience problems with the Velcro sealing solidly after a couple of days usage? I have used this pouch system since my surgery almost 3 years ago and never had a problem with closing the pouch after emptying until about a year ago.

Now, almost every pouch I use I have to add tape to ensure a good closure after only a couple of days. The Velcro just won't hold closed. Like I said, I never had this problem until about a year ago. I have contacted Hollister customer service three times now about this problem and asked if there was some kind of change made in their manufacturing process. During each call, I was assured that nothing has changed on their part. To their credit, they have sent me a new box free of charge and logged each of my complaints which are supposed to make their way to the manufacturing department.

I change my bag and wafer every four days as I always have done. I have very rarely gone five days without changing everything. I typically have to empty my pouch six to eight times a day. This has always been so I am doing nothing different than I always have.

If anyone else has this problem, I would appreciate hearing from you. And if you do, please contact Hollister customer service and let them know about it. They told me to keep contacting them if I continue to have this problem. Thanks!

Doug

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,092 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

klark

I used to use the Hollister drainables, when I did I noticed that after a while you really had to press down hard to reseal the end. I don't think it's a Hollister issue, any pouch you open and close for 2 days is gonna lose some resealing strength. The longest I'd go was 3 days, that's stretching it. I was playing golf one day and had quite an embarrassing "accident", so I decided to try the smaller closed-ended pouches. I'm glad I did because they work great for me. Soil it and then toss it. About half the time I use 2 per day, so I'm able to stockpile extras. I'm allowed 1 box of 60 as opposed to 2 boxes of 10 drainables. The smaller pouches fill with gas quicker but I've become quite adept at burping my pouch just about anywhere. When you're ready don't be shy about trying different products from Hollister or any manufacturer you choose. Good luck to you!!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
klark

Sorry for the weird characters and slashes, my keyboard settings have gone bonkers LOL.

klark

I think Hollister makes great stuff. In the hospital, they started me out using Conva-Tec and I had issues changing the wafers. I switched to Hollister and haven't looked back since LOL.

lovely2bme60

I have used the Hollister product before and never had a problem. If you are having so much trouble, maybe it's time for a new company. Coloplast has very good products. I too wear my bags for days because I can't afford the bags, so I have to make them stretch. Good luck to you.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
magpie

I've used Hollister for over 30 years and have not had the problem per se. Sure, there are times that I have had to re-close because I have seen that it was not sealed properly. I always make sure that the folding up process is done with no air pockets and that it is very flat and properly lined up if you know what I mean. I apply a lot of pressure when locking Velcro.

carlos77

Never a problem with Hollister Velcro in over seven years; change every 4 to 7 days depending on odor, pancake, leak through vent, leak under wafer, or just plain "it's been a week". Squeeze Velcro seal between two fingers and rub all along. Use Adapt lubricant deodorant after each empty and rub Velcro tightly.

GraphX12

Thank you for all the replies!

I am sold on Hollister. I have really put them through some tough abuse at times and they have really held up. Never had a leak (knock on wood)! It's just that velcro sealing thing - but I use scotch tape and can live with that. It's just weird to me that this only started about a year ago. I would say maybe every 8th to 9th bag I can get 4 days without having to use tape. One thing I have noticed is that the 2 velcro pieces usually do not line up, and one is longer (wider?) than the other. I too use a lot of pressure in sealing them and have started being extremely gentle when unsealing them to see if this would help. No change.

I had emergency surgery a week before Christmas to repair 8 inches of small intestine that had blown through a hernia hole and got kinked. The hospital had me fitted with another product after surgery - I think Coloplast (not sure) - that was pitiful at best. I couldn't wait to get home to get back with the Hollister.

gellsch

I have only used Hoister for the 5 years of ostomy living. I put a small bonder clip on the Velcro.

GraphX12

Gellsch:

Does this mean you have had trouble keeping the Velcro closed? Also, what exactly is the "bonder clip" you are referring to?

Thanks!

Gileo

I also use a binder clip with my Hollister bag. Added insurance after a few Velcro failures three years ago. I found 1/2 inch binder clips at an office supply. Also, I fold two sheets of toilet paper over the bag's folded edge to soften the edges of the bag against my skin. The clip holds it on.

Dlynn
Reply to klark

I use the Hollister brand, but would like to try different options. In one way, it would probably be pretty cool to have a closed bag and just toss it. That might be easier when you're out and about.

Skee

I've used Hollister from day one. Yes, the Velcro seems to need additional pressure to close after a day. I change bags 3 times per week so it doesn't get to the point of not locking.
I do have another issue with the Hollister 8531. The most recent box came with a note explaining changes made in their manufacture. I've never had an issue with odor until these "New and Improved" pouches.
The Velcro latches better on the new ones, though.