Best Flushable/Ostomy Liner Recommendations?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses recommendations for the best flushable and ostomy liners, with participants sharing their experiences and suggestions.
Original

Hi all. Pretty new to having a colostomy and glad to find this helpful forum.

I was wondering for those who use these pouch liners, what brand and item number of 2-piece flange system do you use? I use Convatec Natura but it is bulky for my liking.

Thank you in advance.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mrs.A

Hi Original,

Welcome to MAO. I haven't tried the liners and am searching the web for free samples now. Hope they are as easy to use and fit well as I believe they would make a great difference in changing when not at home as well as at home. Not sure if I will flush them, but it will surely help extend the life of our pouches.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Ozzwood

Hi everyone!

I use the flushable liners for my ostomy. I currently order from Edgemark and get the Colo-Majic liners. I use them with a Conva-Tec closed pouch 2-piece system and it makes it simple to empty my pouch. It's not bulky and lays flat. It takes maybe 30 seconds to a minute to change the whole thing.

At home, we have a septic system. I don't flush them at home. I also buy black ziplock type bags from Edgemark as well for easy and discreet disposal. I will at work and other places if I know they're on a city sewage system, but never at home with just a septic tank.

I'm pretty sure if you called or emailed Colo-Majic, they would send free samples. I got free samples when I came home from the hospital and it was wonderful.

Original

Hi ozwood

Thank you for your reply! If you don't mind me asking, what is the Convatec item number of the 2-piece system you use (it should be on the box)?

I am using Convatec Natura Sure Fit flange but find it a tad bulky for my petite frame...

BruceFan

I agree that the 2 PC systems are bulky. I too am thin and just felt they "grabbed" me. I did like the convenience of being able to "burp" the pouch. If someone likes a brand in particular, I'd be interested to hear. I'm currently wearing a 1 PC Convatec Esteem.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Original

Hi MrsA

Tyvm for your reply

Yes, definitely give these liners a try: Colomajik and Attiva. They are Canada-based, so they take a week or two to arrive in the USA. I don't know of any US company that makes these, and my insurance doesn't cover such liners.

Honestly, I use doggie waste bags as liners. Thanks to old posts here. They are great, uber cheap, and work as well as the aforementioned medical liners above. Oh yes, and a pouch would last weeks on me. I get the black ones from Dollar Tree (80 pcs for a buck). I avoid color/printed ones as my last purchase had a scent in them (crazy sharp nose of mine), isn't so discreet, and seem thinner and smaller. I just make sure my appliance seal is truly sealed because the dog bag has a wider opening, and you have to bunch up excess plastic into the appliance. Knock on wood, I haven't had an accident because when I feel a few ounces of output, I empty... I just simply push the contents out with my hand pushing the pouch and still use the same liner.

Hope this helps and sorry for the 'TMI' (too much info)

k.carl

Hi!

I used ColoMajic liners also and they are the best. No more emptying the pouch which I hated and you can quickly and easily replace wherever you are. They are super small so you can keep one in each coat pocket so you're never without.

You can order samples and supplies here and watch the video about them: http://www.colomajic.com/request-for-samples/. The sample comes with a coupon for free shipping and $15 off. I think you can order 100 for around $30.

They made a huge positive difference for me. I highly highly recommend them.

Shitbag

I really like your petite frame!

weewee

Hello all.

The flushables are not good to just flush down your sewer line since they are not dissolvable. It's just like the baby wipes that are flushable. They catch on roots in your line. And when you have to call a plumber or Roto-Rooter to unclog your sewer line because it backed up in your house, it's not cheap. I used to do it for a living and made lots of money because people are told they are biodegradable and flushable.

1. Some real biodegradable products usually need to be degraded in a controlled composting environment or facility — and very few of these facilities exist in the United States. A controlled facility simply means a large facility where materials reach 140 degrees F for 10 consecutive days. Some products will biodegrade eventually, but it may take years.

2. The flushable part is true. They flush through the toilet but don't make it all the way down the sewer line. Say, like from my house to the city sewer is 90 feet, and you flush with a 1.6-gallon toilet. You are expecting the water to travel the distance with a bag and paper that you use to flush. It doesn't work. That's why the old toilets were 5 gallons so that you could flush and it make it farther down the line.

3. Take 1 gallon of water to your curb outside, walk up 90 feet, put some toilet paper in the bucket, and flush it. You will see how far it makes with paper and where the water leaves the paper behind.

Mrs.A

Thanks for the information everyone. Looks like I'll try the dollar store until the samples arrive.

Ozzwood

These are the two ConvaTec appliances I use. My insurance pays for the liners. Heck, they even pay for my undergarments.

ConvaTec SUR-FIT® Natura® Durahesive® 7/8" to 1-1/4" Moldable Convex Skin Barrier with Moldable Opening, 1-3/4" Flange
Box of 10 EA
Item # 51404593
HCPCS Code: A4407
Manufacturer: CONVATEC

ConvaTec Natura® + Closed-End Pouch with Filter, 1-3/4" Flange, Opaque
Box of 30 EA
Item # 51416406
HCPCS Code: A4419
Manufacturer: CONVATEC

estrogen

Do they make a liner for a one-piece system?