Baths with an Ostomy: Need Suggestions

Replies
Views
Hanaleah

I love to take baths but I don't know what to do now that I have the ostomy.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Pray for peace, Hana

xnine

I have been swimming in the ocean and pools with no problem. I have had one bath with nothing on and luckily no output. It was nice. I think it is the heat and not the water that may be a problem. Coloplast makes barrier strips which would give you extra security in the tub. You can use a blow dryer after to dry off.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,378 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Hanaleah.

I love to have a bath and indulge myself every morning. I rarely have a problem becauseĀ I IRRIGATE THE NIGHT BEFORE AND AM CONFIDENT THAT THERE WILL BE NO OUTPUT. However, if I was in the position where IĀ could not be sure of no output, I would invent a solution like the one I posted last week in the 'photos' section. It may look crude but it works very well and would be sufficiently secure to allow for an hour or so, soaking in the bath without worrying about it coming off. After the soak, I would simply change back into my normal bag/plug, set for the day ahead.

Best wishes

Bill

Mrs.A

If I feel like soaking in the tub, I try to do it before I eat. I also keep a throwaway container close by in case of any output. Then it's time to shower and clean the tub.

NotDeadYet

I'm too scared to try. If I lived alone, I would experiment more, I think.

I think Mrs. A has a good approach.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
ChrisP

I find a bath far easier than a shower, but I don't lie on my belly with the stoma under water. In 13 years, I've never had a single problem.

Chris

bigal1579

Just get a swim wrap from Ostomysecrets.com and you can bathe to your heart's delight with your pouch on, and when you are done the pouch will still be on for continued use.

I have done a lot of hot tubbing this way. The pouch will be just fine. You don't need to take a chance going au naturel and risking a mess.

Hanaleah

Thank you so much for replying. I have gotten underwear from them. I will go on their site and look because I need something.

I am going to look at their site and see if I can find them.

Thank you.

Pray for peace, Hana

Ewesful

I have a warm/hot bath about once a week and love it. My Sensura bag stays right in place and all is well. If it is about time to change it, I do so after the bath. I do, however, wait about a year after surgery before allowing myself the luxury of bubble baths. Very relaxing and great for your back!

Immarsh

Hi, my name is Marsha, and I've had my ileostomy for more than 50 years. I was also married to a man who had an ileostomy. In the "old days", the pouch system didn't adhere too well in water, so I tried taking a bath without the appliance on. That worked fine, as I could time it for no output, and would then rinse off in the shower. But I began to have skin problems under the "wafer", which was a plastic disc with "glue" on it. The soap softened my skin, and the wafer didn't stay on as well. And so I gave up baths. But I had no trouble in the ocean or the pool (which is cooler water). Once I started using Convatec 2-piece pouching systems, I took more chances and was able to use hot tubs/spa tubs more often. But just for security and peace of mind, I try to change within a day or two because the warmer water "can" melt down the wafer. I still don't bathe or shower regularly without my wafer and pouch on because of sensitive skin and soap issues. Nothing to be afraid of "trying". Just try to avoid bath oils and soaps with softeners if you're going to bathe without the wafer/pouch on. Everyone is different.

winnie

I've soaked before with my bag on in a nice hot jetted tub. Very relaxing... no problems...