Persistent rash under stoma wafer - Need help!

Replies
Views
Booters

Hi, has anyone had a hard time with a rash under their wafer and/or tape? I've had an ostomy for 4 months now. I had a nurse come 3 times a week to take care of my wound and change my bag. One time, I gave the nurse a 2-piece to try for the first time. Before the day was over, it got really itchy. By the next day, I couldn't stand it anymore and took off the bag myself, and there was the rash. That was 2 months ago. My ostomy nurse showed me how to use the crusting technique and said the rash should be gone in a couple of days. Needless to say, that was 2 months ago. I'm very clean. Never any leaks. I keep it dry. I've been using nystatin for 2 weeks. Some of the rash starts to go away, and then more comes.

Jenerprise

I had this happen when I accidentally used antiseptic wipes instead of the adhesive removing wipes.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,504 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ron in mich

Hi booters, it sounds like you are allergic to the glue on wafer. When I tried the tape style of wafer, I had the same reaction. So, I use only the waxy pectin-based wafers and no more rash.

PinkSurvivor

I've had similar rashes. I tried different manufacturers. Call and get samples. I can't use Coloplast. They always fall off. That sucks. Hollister works great for me. Keep trying, something will work.

ladyjane

Maybe if you use the Eakin rings. That helped me, gave my skin around the stoma more protection. Is the irritation from the appliance or your excrement?

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Bill

Hello Booters. 

I agree with Ron in Mich, in that it sounds like some sort of allergy. I am sensitive to all sorts of modern materials and break out in rashes regularly. I give my stoma a 'rest' from the sticky wafers by sticking them to my own home-made baseplate, which I keep in place with elastic belts. This is okay for overnight but it doesn't work so well during the day when I am much more active and the device tends to move about once it gets mucus underneath which allows it to slip and slide. Nonetheless, it does give the area enough time to begin to heal. I have also tried inserting devices which both stop the baseplate from moving/drifting and resolve my problem of keeping the passageway open. I can use these devices day and night but I would say that I would much rather be able to use something that doesn't cause the problem in the first place.

Best wishes

Bill 

Booters

Lucky me, I've never had a leak.

weewee

For my rashes, I use Corona ointment. You can find it in your local farm stores. It's usually in the horse section. This works on sunburns, burns, dry skin, scrapes, cuts, and many other things. I use it when I work on things that dry out my hands and make them crack from drying out. I have burned myself really bad and it healed me no problem. My friend is in a wheelchair and gets heat rash around the groin, and it took it away. So now he uses it for that, and it helped his eczema when he was around me. It doesn't smell bad either, one of the other reasons he liked it.

Booters

I thank you all for your help. Good luck to everyone!!

Past Member

Hello. When my Jake gives me the rashies, I will grab a shower, let the water run on me for a good few minutes, then towel-dry, and hold another towel over it, to absorb the volcanic activities. The VA is notorious for sending limited supplies. I am out of stoma paste, powder, and I only receive enough bags to last for 3 weeks. I hate borrowing supplies from my neighbor. Anywho, hang in there. Your stoma will tend to misbehave, like Jake does at times. I advised him he will not be around forever, and if he decides to not go away, we are going to have to be good neighbors.