Seeking Advice: Ostomy Reversal after Complicated Diverticulitis Case

Replies
Views
myhorsemax

Hi all - five months ago, I had to have an emergency colostomy due to diverticulitis and then developed an abscess in my leg, which meant another surgery the next day. I was septic, and the doctors told my husband and son "to prepare themselves." I was in the hospital for 13 days, and during that time, I was unconscious for about a week. Obviously, the very worst thing that has ever happened to me. The doctor also told me later it was the worst case of diverticulitis he has ever seen. He said the reversal would be very complicated due to the amount of colon he had to take out and because of all the scarring in me. He has referred me to a colon/rectal guy whom I will see in a month. Quite frankly, I am terrified to go back into the hospital and have surgery and maybe come out as I went in or worse. Has anyone had a similar situation? Thank you so much!

Bill

Hello myhorsemax.

I have just replied to a similar post and my answer would be much the same. It's all a very personal choice. When I had to make that decision as to whether to have a reversal of stick with the stoma, I weighed up whether a reversal would 'cure' the original complaint. I concluded that it would not and therefore I would revert back to my original condition. I would rather have th stoma! so the decision was obvious to me. 

Best wishes in your deliberations.

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,462 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

latina63

In your situation, it is very different. I had my reversal in 2012. Mine was due to cancer, and they removed almost all my rectum and 7" of my sigmoid colon. Honestly, sometimes the bag seems nicer, but that's only on my bad days. Either way, you have to weigh out the pros and cons and make it a personal decision....after that, you can make it work...I think we all have...no matter how hard it is at times...and with whatever decision you make...blessings and best wishes!!

Nora

myhorsemax

Thank you, Nora.

myhorsemax

Thank you, Nora.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
myhorsemax

Hi Bill and thanks for your reply. I'm not sure I understood, though. Did you mean that if you had a reversal, there might be the chance of having whatever problem you had? Do you mean more surgery after reversal? Thanks, Cindy

Germany

Hello everyone and happy New Year. I understand from this site that either fellow jpouchers love their jpouch or who have severe problems. Unfortunately, my experience has been a nightmare. I am 48 years old and I had my entire colon removed and wore a temporary ileostomy for 3 months before having my jpouch created. I now have chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction. That disorder means I feel like I have a blockage all the time. For anyone who has had a blockage, you will understand how painful they are and that's what I live with daily. My colon and rectal surgeon will not perform the surgery to have my jpouch taken down and going back to a permanent end ileostomy. I have been in contact with The Cleveland Clinic and they have awesome surgeons who will operate on me so I can go back to a permanent ileostomy. Has anyone had a failed jpouch and did you go back to a permanent end ileostomy and if so, do you feel better after going back to?

Bill

Hello myhorsemax.

Sorry if I did not make myself clear enough in my reply. I had a prolapsed anus which necessitated a stoma. I had a few surgical procedures to try to rectify the problem - without success Hence the stoma. Reconnnection would not resolve the prolapse problem so I could see no point in going down that route, even though it had been suggested I could have it done. I still suffer a little with the anus problem but nowhere near that which I would have suffered with faeces passing through it daily. They have also offered to remove the anus altogether but I've declined that as well because the pain and suffering does not warrant further surgery at present. However, it is always comforting to know that the offer is there if I change my mind.

Best wishes

Bill