When can I start exercising after ileostomy surgery?

Replies
Views
Fi Trix

Hi

I am 8 weeks post-surgery for panproctocolectomy with permanent ileostomy and just wondering if anyone can tell me when I could start back at the gym? I am currently walking a lot each day and feeling fine.

I was hoping to start cycling/cross trainer/swimming with maybe some light weights.

The last thing I want to do is cause any damage and end up back in the hospital, so would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Past Member

Yes, I agree with you. Don't overdo anything. Your incision inside needs more time to firm up. You don't want to get a hernia like me. I laid around for 3 months. This will take years for you to get back into your old life. I got my stoma in 2014. The surgeon told me 6 to 10 years to full recovery. Some sooner, some later like me. I still have a hernia to figure out how to keep me up in me. Like the song says, take it easy.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Fi Trix. I would agree with the concept of taking it steadily. Also, when beginning to exert yourself in incremental stages it can be useful to wear a hernia belt for a little extra support. After all, many sports people wear them as a sensible precaution and they haven't had major surgery.

Best wishes

BillĀ 

Sasquatch

I agree, ramp it up slowly, giving your body time to adjust. It won't take too much and you should build the core strength you'll need to support the integrity of your stoma. Another thing to keep in mind would be, with physical exertion, to keep an eye on your fluid intake. Remember, dehydration can happen quickly with an ileostomy.

HarleySue

What's an EDC kit, Sasquatch???

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Sasquatch

It's an Every Day Carry kit. It just has whatever I would need to deal with my ostomy in an emergency situation. I mostly use it for peace of mind at work, being that I'm away from home for 12+ hours. Being from Anderson, we should get together for dinner sometime. Meeting another ostomate is something I've never done, but would like to do.

Fi Trix

Thanks to all for your advice. I will certainly take it slowly.

Silveradokid

Hi Fi Trix. Also, you might want to speak with your surgeon and get their recommendation...

Nagsshan

Hi, please continue walking for at least 12 weeks post-treatment.

I went through the same path and can help you.

I was into ballroom dancing, so that kept me going.

Gym light weights. Watch your food.

Avoid cauliflower, broccoli, nuts, shellfish, shrimp to avoid odor.

Add a protein shake in the morning along with berries, the same at 3 pm, and 1 after a workout. This will give you 75 grams of protein. Breakfast omelette with 3 egg whites or 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg + whole wheat bread or 1/2 cup of oatmeal or 1/2 cup of farina. Lunch with 4 oz of protein (chicken or fish) with 1/2 cup of cooked rice and lots of veggies, same with dinner.