Pilates after Colostomy: Tips for Safe Movements?

Replies
Views
crossley8
Jul 06, 2018 7:23 pm

Have any of you done Pilates after your ostomy surgery? I am 7 months out from my surgery and am going back to Pilates for the first time today. I have been doing some walking and some physical therapy, but this will be my first time at Pilates since my surgery. Are there certain movements I should avoid, such as bending and twisting, for fear of dislodging my pouch? Many thanks for any help.

Past Member
Jul 07, 2018 1:37 pm

I am 8 months since my surgery. I asked my doctor if I could start going to the gym and exercising again, and he said yes but take it slow.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

crossley8
Jul 08, 2018 1:09 am

Thank you, Coraline - I appreciate your response.

Silveradokid
Jul 18, 2018 12:14 am

Hi Crossley. I never took Pilates before my surgeries and hold no desire to start now. Guess you could call me a 'Remote" exerciser. Joking aside, you should speak with your surgeon about the dos and don'ts of exercise. All the best - Silveradokid.

D5000
Jul 18, 2018 1:45 am

I do Pilates with my colostomy and have for 3 years with no problems. Love the exercise.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
sherileo
Jul 18, 2018 2:46 am

I'm glad someone posted about this, it's been a year since my surgery and I've been terrified to go back to Pilates for a fear of "overdoing it" or herniating or something!