Stoma Covered in Brown Film - Need Advice!

Replies
Views
Bearably50

My stoma is coated brown. I called my stoma nurse, but she didn't seem to be too concerned. She said it was probably a "fluff" and she could probably just scrape it off. It has spread and is now covering the complete stoma. I tried washing it but it wouldn't come off. I have a great concern and would like to know if anyone else has had this experience and knows the cause. I just had my surgery on the 16th of August and still healing, so I do have a lot of pain. Not sure if that is due to the surgery or due to something going wrong with my stoma.

Thanks, Glenda

Morning glory

Dear Bearably50

This is a new one for me. I will say, however, if your nurse is not concerned, he/she has seen it before. You are concerned about this, so I would tell the nurse that and have them take a look. Your pain is from the surgery and it hasn't been that long. Give it time.

Best wishes,

Rebecca

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,438 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

walderpeee

Give it time!! I have had mine for about 4 years. Gone through my stoma turning a deep red, swelling up, shrinking flat. Lots of mucus sometimes covering the stoma!! You should start getting used to the changes, but it will take time!!! I agree about getting your nurse to look at it though.

Bill

Hello Glenda. I agree with what your other responders are saying and would add that having a proper conversation with a stoma nurse about 'anything' that is worrying you can be a useful way to gain information  and put your mind at rest. It is sometimes very useful to know what causes these things AND WHAT ALTERNATIVES WE HAVE FOR RESOLVING THEM. Maybe, we will decide to do nothing, bu this should be a choice rather than a dictate. I have had several discussions with my stoma nurses about things I intend to experiment with and I have found them most helpful and supportive.

Best wishes

Bill 

Xerxes

Bearably,

A nurse is a nurse and a physician is a physician. With something like this, it should be looked at by a physician and not a nurse, especially one who is giving you a "diagnosis" based on a conversation.

X_

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
freedancer

I would talk with your doctor. You could try eating some yogurt for a while, perhaps it is some sort of yeast buildup but see your doctor first. Perhaps he can take a scraping and look at it under a scope to identify it. Good luck to you. Please let us know what you find out, OK?

Bearably50

Saw stoma nurse yesterday. She wasn't quite sure what to make of my stoma. The brown film had decreased in size but thickened in one area. Now it looks like a moldy scab. The Nurse Practitioner came in to look as well. Neither seemed to know what it was but didn't seem too concerned. They measured the size of it, documented it, and told me to keep an eye on it. If it causes any problems, notify them immediately. They seem to think it was some sort of trauma that caused it. It hasn't/isn't causing me any pain (physically), just anxiety. I'll keep you up-to-date. I will be seeing another stoma nurse at the VA tomorrow. I also have a follow-up with the Nurse Practitioner on the 4th.

Morning glory

I am glad that you posted an update, and are following up with the stoma nurse.

Best wishes,

Morning Glory

looking forward

I agree, this should be seen by a Dr. Stoma. Nurses do not know it all.