Ileostomy Reversal

In this discussion
Replies
Views
MrsDittles

I am 4 days out from my ileostomy reversal. I look as if I'm 3 months pregnant, not only in my belly, but my feet and legs also. I went in for reversal weighing 113lbs and came out weighing 130lbs. Before being released, I asked the doctors to do a dye scan to ensure there were no leaks, since the reason I ended up with an ileostomy in the first place was because the resection they did after the car accident came undone. Instead of telling me no, they just avoided coming to my room. I figured if I was going to be in pain, might as well be at home with my kids. Along with the severe bloating, I have a burning feeling in my stomach. Taking stool softeners to try and help me go, since I seem to have the opposite problem from others I have read. I have no appetite and am concerned about the opening they left getting infected. I received no advice from my doctors. I feel lost. Is the burning feeling normal? How do I get this water weight off? When will the swelling in my tummy go down, or when do I need to start being concerned?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,089 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Puppyluv56

Oh my! I know nothing about this but hate that you are having such a terrible time! If you are still in the hospital, they should have a complaint system and if they are good, they will come to your room to take your complaint about your doctors and treatment. I think a different doctor would be high on my list. If you are already home, you can still complain to the hospital and go online and give a poor review for the doctor and hospital. If you are worried and have not found relief, I would go to a different hospital ER, if you have more than one hospital in your city, and hopefully they will consult their colon surgeon to help you! I had to do this to get some real help for my mother. Hopefully, your issues are just from the air they put in your abdomen for surgery and no leakage!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
dadnabbit

Mrs. Dittles, have your PCP schedule the appropriate tests to determine that there are no leaks. Your PCP can also prescribe a diuretic like furosemide to help get rid of the water. Don't ignore the issue just because the doctors in the hospital did. I had an enormous hernia with three loops of small intestine immediately after surgery, in the hospital, but my surgeon insisted it was NOT a hernia. After hospital release, I had my PCP schedule the CT scan to verify that it was indeed a severe hernia. Self-advocate for yourself.

Peace