Hernia belt causing irritation and itchiness - need help!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses solutions for dealing with irritation and itchiness caused by a hernia belt, seeking advice and tips from others who have experienced similar issues.
chestnut

I am wearing a hernia belt 24/7 for a peristomal hernia. The skin underneath is severely irritated, red, and itchy. Driving me crazy. Want to rip the thing off. Any suggestions?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello chestnut. Hernia belts are very useful if you are likely to be doing anything strenuous or out of the ordinary. In my opinion, they are of little use when you are just sitting or sleepingso I would suggest trying to leave them off during the night and see how you get on. I have a peristomal hernia (amongst others) and I never wear a belt at nights. This has made no difference whatsoever to the shape or size of the hernia.

Best wishes

BillĀ 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

I'm with you, Chesnut - I want to rip mine off too! Especially in hot weather! It raises my body temperature by 10 degrees, I swear! And swimming? Good grief - it already takes my bathing suit forever to dry with the interior pocket for my pouch, and the ruffle over my ostomy for distraction. However, the belt does help support my hernia. I find that if I go too long without it, I start to ache, and the hernia belt helps. I think I need to research other types, though. I've been looking at Ostomy Armor and Stealth Belt. Anybody out there have any preferences? The one I'm currently wearing has a lot of elastic, which I know will eventually stretch out of shape and provide no support at all. There has to be a better option. I'd love to know what it is.

chestnut

Thank you, Bill and Padfoot.

Past Member

Possible allergy to the material/elastic, often not an issue short term but when warm, salty, human sweat reacts with it
over many hours?
Just a thought

Steve

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Ladyhawke
Hi Steve....
Ladyhawke

What one do you have, Steve?

Past Member

Hi, I don't wear one but the lady I look after did, I can't remember the

make but she reacted with it, saying that she tends to react with many

different items including colostomy and urostomy bags depending on

make.

Maybe try putting dry wipes under it in the affected areas?

It's just a learning curve.

Hope you solve it.

Steve