Concerned about strange substance in my ostomy bag! Need advice ASAP!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses a concern about a strange substance found in an ostomy bag and seeks advice from the community.
Gemd

I just passed some gas into my bag. Well, I looked in the bag (I have a clear one while awaiting for my others to get here in the mail) because today my ostomy has been extra productive, so I wanted to know if it needed to be changed. Well, I then passed gas again and it ballooned, and right in front of my stoma, stuck to the bag, is a waxy semi-clear....something. It came out with the gas. While I can't actually feel it, through the bag it feels kinda sticky and a pliable hard...like wax or rubber cement. I'm scared what it is.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Gemd

Here is a picture but in real life it is not at all yellow-brown but white. And I have had mucus/pus at least back when I had a colon and rectum and this is nothing like it.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Shitt Happens

I would say: Corn maybe??

Gemd

Not corn textured and I haven't had corn. I'm still on the hospital beige diet of chicken, fish, bread, noodles, rice, soft carrot, cheese (Well I don't eat cheese).

Gemd

Also, it isn't corn because it is pure white. Such a mystery.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Bill

Hello Gemd. Thanks for the post and the pictures. In my early days with a stoma. all sorts of different things in different colours and textures came out of both the stoma and the rectal stump.  I would examine them and try to figure out what they were made of and maybe tease out reasons for their existence. A couple of my rhyming verses on stomas reflect this sort of deliberation. However, this tends to be  a fleeting phase in the process of adjusting to the vagaries of stoma life so make the most of it while you can and, as the song says: 'don't worry- be happy'.

Best wishes

Bill 

Puppyluv56

I have had some weird things come out in the beginning as well. Maybe because of surgery but like gas, better out than in!

Puppyluv

Gemd

Thanks all for alleviating some fears. I had mucus from my rectal stump a week after surgery as well.

Hermit

I had severe mucus in rectal for several months! Eventually went away!

sassie

I found it very interesting that so many things we eat we don't really digest well. I have

four sisters and I love to tease them that at least I can see what I eat...just have fun with your stoma, because it is what it is... Best of luck...