Using One Hand to Change and Empty Ileostomy Bag

In this discussion
Replies
Views
freedancer

Hi folks, I am looking to have hand surgery in the near future. It will be my left hand and will be a LRTI on my left thumb. I need to know if anyone else out there has had to be stuck using one hand to change and empty your ileostomy. The changing part won't be real hard but emptying it during the day is going to present an issue since I will need to wipe it out a little before closing it back up. I had this surgery on my right hand a few years back but did not have the ileostomy yet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will not have use of my thumb for several months and the hand will be in a cast. After I get the cast on, I will be able to use my four other fingers but it will be limited.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

NewlifeVictoria

Hi sweetie. How are you? Sounds like it's going to be difficult. I'm sorry to hear this and you're probably single? I know I have my issues and it isn't fun... I'm praying for you. Have a great day. Text if you like? Victoria

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
w30bob

Hi freedancer,

I think your best bet would be to contact the local Veterans Admin hospital. Many vets are amputees, and if anyone knows how to do what you're asking, I'd bet they do. Another thing to consider is to use a two-piece barrier/bag. Instead of trying to open, drain, clean, and reseal the bag, it might be easier to just remove the whole bag and either toss it or empty it through the large barrier hole and then wash out and reinstall. Not sure how many times you empty your bag, but since they are expensive, you can also consider bringing a number of bags with you and then after you drain your full bag, just get as much out as you can and then put them in a zip-lock so you can bring them home to wash and reuse. I'll keep looking for better info, but sorry I can't be of more help.

Regards,

Bob

Past Member

Yes, I'm right-handed and had surgery on my right hand tendon repair bone infection, so I could only use my left hand for almost 3 months. To be honest, emptying and changing the bag wasn't much of a problem once I got used to it. I couldn't clean the end of the bag very well, so I used a bottle filled with water and just poured it over the end of the bag to clean it as best I could. I did try lock and roll closure system bags, but I found them more difficult to use than the Velcro closure bags. Mine was emergency surgery, so there was no prior warning. As yours is planned, I would get lots of practice now just using your right hand and don't be tempted to use your left hand. Hope surgery goes well.

anyark

I've seen this topic on another site, and as a retired occupational therapist, I saw it as a challenge. This is possible as I was able to do it. I suggest you practice now every time you need to empty your bag. Since you'll have use of fingers on your casted hand, you can support the tail of the bag and wipe the tail.

With repeated practice, you'll figure out a method and get comfortable with it.

Wishing you the best....

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister