Odor control

In this discussion
Replies
Views
HenryM

After buying expensive ostomy odor control products for years, my light bulb went off.  You know those little Arm & Hammer boxes of baking soda?  People put them in the fridge to absorb odors.   That stuff is a perfect -- and cheap -- alternative.  Just a little bit in the pouch after emptying and voila... no odor.  

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Morning glory

Thanks, I will have to give this a try.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Riva

Don't laugh, I have found popping in a few peppermint Altoids works just fine.

AGB1982

Wow! I have to try baking soda and Altoids because I think the ostomy deodorant makes it smell worse... like a public restroom. Thanks for the suggestions.

Bagface

AGB - I used a few drops of eucalyptus oil when I had my ostomy.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
britathrt60

Thanks for the advice... I am definitely going to try the baking soda.

Mrs.A

I tried baking soda and it seemed to work well, but I always had difficulty getting it into the pouch without making a mess. So after reading this post, I was thinking maybe I will try creating some sachet packets of it using coffee filters cut to size, kind of like a tea bag but still smaller. This way, I can put one in the pouch after emptying when I'm not at home.

Anyone have any other thoughts on how we can make it more portable and user-friendly?

lovely

I was looking at my eye drops bottle. It is small and you can pop the end off. You could wash it out well and let it dry out. The end should work like a spray. I have not tried it, but I think it would work. I am also going to try baking soda in my bag.

britathrt60

Hi

Just a little scoop or a teaspoon works... The baking soda works really well. I empty the box of baking soda into a plastic margarine container and keep it in the bathroom. I use a small scoop... Works great with no mess.

Take care

Angela

rossbarbara813

I used baking soda, it works. I have also used Tic Tac. That works, too. I am trying a rolled up scented dryer sheet. I will let you know if that works. Trying to find something that works really well, as I can smell the odor a lot. People say they don't smell anything, but I am self-conscious about it.

AlexT
Reply to rossbarbara813

If you can smell odor when you're not emptying your bag or changing it, there is an issue. Either output is getting under your wafer and the odor is coming out or the filter, if you have one, is letting the smell out.