Recovery Time After Reversal and Issues to Expect

Replies
Views
rsmith4306

I am looking for information about recovery time after reversal and issues to expect. I had my ileostomy in Feb '07 and was reluctant to go through another surgery (reversal) right away. I had planned to have the reversal done in mid '08 but was involved in a major car accident which has taken quite some time to fully recover from. I have 2 more operations to go but wanted to fit a reversal in if time permits. I'm in generally good health, mid 80's on 18! and, like I said, would like to have a reversal. I would appreciate any information from fellow ostomates.
Thank you....Bagavond

Past Member
Hi there, I had my ileostomy in Sept. 09 and had my reversal in Jan. 10. I was happy to have it done but apparently it was too soon as I had many issues after with bleeding. Originally, I had the ileostomy due to an abscess after my colon surgery a few weeks before. (Colorectal cancer) I generally am a slow healer so I was concerned but the Dr. thought it would be fine. The eating part went pretty well, once I found out what was causing some problems. (Mostly tomato-based things -- no more spaghetti or pizza for me). The first 6 months, I had BM's a lot (12 to 15 times a day) so was pretty confined to the house. I am now doing much better on a diet rich in Metamucil. I tried many other options, Imodium, Selba, and other than not eating, I spent so much time in the bathroom. I even was thinking of going for a colostomy but my GP wanted me to wait at least another 6 months. I am finally doing well, in that regard but have recently been having blood in my stool so now awaiting an appointment with the surgeon at the end of June. I feel fine and not losing weight and all blood tests are fine so who knows what this is about -- but, must get it checked.

Would I do the reversal again, I think I would. Go for it! Most people don't have too many issues but some do -- we are all different.

Good luck,
Penny
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,466 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

janice

I had a reversal 10 months after the original ostomy surgery. I had a terrible time with pain, bloating, and pooping constantly. Bowels ruptured again 8 months later, so now my ostomy is permanent.
I think it all depends on the reason for your ostomy in the first place.
I had cervical cancer; my ostomies are the result of radiation damage. Probably why the reversal didn't work.

nodwell

Hello there, in August 2009 I had a Hartmann's cos' of a perforated diverticulum which also gave me peritonitis. January 2010 I was 'given' an ileostomy, which probably as you know, is a lot worse than a colostomy. July 2010 I had the reversal. The only issues I had with it was the sore bum after using the toilet, baby wipes and Sudocrem helped with that. When I was in the hospital after the operation because of the sore bum, I was wishing that I'd never had it done but now I'd 500% recommend it to anyone. Due to the ileo. stoma, I've now got an incisional hernia but getting it repaired in July (fingers crossed). My advice to you is to go for the reversal. Using a toilet pan again properly is worth all the hassle and pain. Good luck.

cassieandme

I had a colostomy on Jan 14th, 2011. Three months later, on April 13th, I had my reversal surgery.
No problems so far. Last Monday, I had an appointment with my surgeon and he said everything is
doing fine. Unless I have problems come up (which I am to call him if that happens),
he said he would see me next year. I am 72 and have recovered well from both surgeries.
The cause of my problem was diverticulitis.
I wish you well.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member
Hi
I had my reversal in Sept 10 after having an ileostomy for 8 months due to a perforated bowel after an operation to remove an ovary went badly wrong. I ended up nearly dying, in intensive care for 3 weeks on life support. Anyway, after much deliberation, I decided to go ahead with the reversal. At times, it hasn't been pleasant with many BM's, but Loperamide keeps that under control. I am now trying to work out what I can and can't eat as I suffer terribly with wind and stomach pains, but although at times I wish I still had the bag as I didn't have any pain, I love the freedom of not having it and would probably go through it all again. It will be a long journey as 8 months on, I am still learning what suits me, but at least I am alive, which I nearly wasn't.
Good luck for when you have it done x
mooza

My first reversal, okay. No, this went better. My second reversal, it took 3 months to get better, but I lost too much of the large bowel. I spoke to someone not from here who said it took him 8 months for toilet habits to get better... But I was okay about 3 months after. Still sore though, more disease though. But you're wanting to know how long with no complications, right? Maybe longer. It's a hard question, mate. Go for it...

Mystified

I had my ileostomy on August 1, 2010 and thought the world had ended. After suffering and going through not making it to the bathroom in time, I had no idea what was going on.

I saw a surgeon in March 2011 and reversals were about all he did. He did my reversal on April 7th and believe me, going through that was just about as bad as the initial surgery. I went into the hospital on April 7th and was back home on the 11th. In and out just like taking clothing to the cleaners.

This surgery was what I wanted because I wanted to be whole again...well, partially anyway. I've had my ups and downs because now I wear a pad and a diaper just like back at the time my mom had to change me as a baby. But...OMG!!! I really do feel 100% better!!!

I asked the doctor just how long all of this was going to take to get better and he said it depended on me but basically anywhere from 8 - 10 months. So, I guess I'm going to have to make that mad dash to the bathroom once in a while. I have made it most of the time, but not all of the time.

This is one surgery that I'll never regret even if it takes longer than the time period he told me it would take.

God bless you and I hope you make the right decision.

Mystified (Barbie)

poppie

I had my reversal back in the early 80s. Wasn't told anything. I was 19. Things have probably changed since then. In 2002, I had a blockage where the bowel was joined 22 years ago. So, I ended up with a loop ileostomy and was told I had 12 months to decide to have a reversal as the rectum muscle would become too soft to use again. I decided my life and health were 80 percent better with the loop ileo. I decided in 2003 to have my rectum removed due to Crohn's and have an ileostomy put in. The best thing I have ever done. My only regret was getting a hernia in 2008 around my stoma from working and playing sports and not wearing a hernia support belt. In 2010, the hernia had strangled the bowel and put 2 holes in the bowel. I nearly died. 14 weeks in the hospital, still recovering in May 2011. It's a big choice to have a reversal or not, but in my choice, it was easy. You can choose when you go to the bathroom or not.

mooza

I have my ileostomy and I'm a whole person. What does a half person look like? Grrrrrrr... Not helping others here. I'm a lifer, had reversals. I think I have half a mind to say something nasty, so I will use the other half to say nothing. This really upset me to hear. I'm a whole person again. Geeeeeeeeeze...

C Cogan

Hello all. My colostomy is almost two years old. My digestion is perfect and I have no pain like I did with diverticulitis. I have put off the reversal for fear of complications with infection and C-Diff as I am 77 years old. Good luck to you if you go ahead with the surgery. CCogan

fable3
Crack me up! This is how I felt about another post earlier today.

Also, I wanted to comment on the "vibe" that I get from this site about reversals in general. It (the vibe) doesn't seem very accepting for all... maybe it's just me, but the covert resentment comes out just a teeny tiny bit here and there, which I can understand. So many of the regulars here have experienced tremendous pain and suffering... more than they dare to type... nbsp; nbsp;Just my 2 cents. For whatever they are worth on the ostomy market.

Fable
shellbob29again

Hi! I have a friend who had a reversal done a couple of years ago. He goes by bamatex on this site. You may want to look him up. He's given me many a pep-talk. He's a wonderful guy and has a very good sense of humor! I hope all goes well for you! Shelley