Swimming with Kids: Pool or Natural Water?

Replies
Views
blessedtobealive50
I wish I knew what to do in order to go swimming or attempt to go swimming with my kids in a swimming pool? I heard it's best to go swimming only in the ocean or lake... that is one thing I would like to do
Bill
Hello blessedtobealive50. What's stopping you? Do you want instructions on how to get there or how to pay, how to change or how to swim?  You shouldn't be worried about having faecal 'accidents'in the swimming pool. (dependent upon the age of your children)I feel sure that there have been many children who have not thought twice about defecating or urinating in the swimming pool so you won't be alone. I often think that people suggest that it's better to swim in the sea simply because there is more water to dilute the pollution!In most cases it is not the practicalities that hold people back from doing things but their attitude of mind.  If you want to do something you just have to get up and go. Face any consequences as they arise and then come back on here and let us all know how much you enjoyed yourself.Best wishes Bill
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,485 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ron in mich

Hello blessed, I've had my ileo for 29 years and have done a lot of swimming and sitting in hot tubs. I use the two-piece Convatec system with the pectin-based wafers, and all I do is tape around the edges of the wafer with waterproof tape. That pink stuff from Walmart made by Nexcare. I have never had an issue. Take care, Ron in Mich.

dsmithsc91

While you didn't mention any specific concerns, I'll go ahead and guess you're worried about some sort of a leak in the pool. If that's your concern because you frequently have surprise leaks on terra firma, then you need to get that sorted before going on the water. If you are good on land, you will be fine in the water. It was scary for me when I first started swimming again. Maybe start by going to the pool by yourself and plan to stay in for a couple of minutes. Once you see that two minutes is no problem, go for 5, etc. etc. Ron's suggestion about taping the wafer is good advice. I would do that when I first started back to swimming to add some peace of mind. I eventually found it was not necessary. At least for me. Just commit to doing it and report back to let us know how things go.

Help_Me_Rhonda

I swim all the time and I do tape the edges just for peace of mind. I do aqua therapy so I am in the pool for a long time on some days and I have never had a problem at all with my pouch coming off or leaking. It does seem to shorten the wear time but it's well worth it! Just go for it!!!

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
blessedtobealive50

I will do it.

blessedtobealive50

Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement. I will go for it!!

Help_Me_Rhonda

Hey blessedtobealive50, have you started swimming? Hope so!

blessedtobealive50

How are you doing?

Past Member

Hello blessedtobealive50, I am not really a fan of swimming pools, but swimming is one of the best sports to practice. This is what I do: I use a girdle-swimsuit or tankini. My favorite brand is ORY because I like the patterns; they hide the irregular shapes of my scars and bag. http://www.cocoaonline.es/WebRoot/StoreLES/Shops/63294804/MediaGallery/catalogos/Catalogo_ORY_web_reducido.pdf I eat carrots or rice to control the waste, and I bring with me several extra wafers and bags. I also tape the wafer. If you have the chance to go to a friend's or family swimming pool, it could give you confidence. Take your time! Hope this helps.

blessedtobealive50

Thank you. I will try it!! My kids and I are going to Colorado at the end of June and want to be able to swim, etc. with them.

Seagirl1044

Hi, please tell me how you were able to keep the wafer dry? Did you change to a new one each night? I'm talking about the cloth outside the wafer. Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Hopefully, I can learn how you were able to do this and I can pass this along to other disabled American veterans. In the Space Coast area of Viera, Cocoa Beach, Florida.

Seagirl1044

Sincerely, Seagirl1044

blessedtobealive50

I will do it.

blessedtobealive50

blessedtobealive50

Thank you. I will try it!! My kids and I are going to Colorado at the end of June and want to be able to swim, etc. with them.

Seagirl1044

Hi, please tell me how you were able to keep the wafer dry? Did you change to a new one each night? I'm talking about the cloth outside the wafer. Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Hopefully, I can learn how you were able to do this and I can pass this along to other disabled American veterans. In the Space Coast area of Viera, Cocoa Beach, Florida.

Seagirl1044

Sincerely, Seagirl1044

Help_Me_Rhonda

blessedtobealive50

How are you doing?

Past Member

Hello blessedtobealive50, I am not really a fan of swimming pools, but swimming is one of the best sports to practice. This is what I do: I use a girdle swimsuit or tankini. My favorite brand is ORY because I like the patterns; they hide the irregular shapes of my scars and bag. http://www.cocoaonline.es/WebRoot/StoreLES/Shops/63294804/MediaGallery/catalogos/Catalogo_ORY_web_reducido.pdf I eat carrots or rice to control the waste, and I bring with me several extra wafers and bags. I also tape the wafer. If you have the chance to go to a friend's or family swimming pool, it could give you confidence. Take your time! Hope this helps.

blessedtobealive50

I will do it.

blessedtobealive50

Help_Me_Rhonda

blessedtobealive50

Hi, how are you doing? No, I haven't tried yet. I have a lot going on at home right now. And to be honest, I am nervous about doing it.

Help_Me_Rhonda

Go for it! You won't regret it!!

blessedtobealive50

Hi, I haven't tried going swimming yet. My younger kids don't feel comfortable with the idea of me going swimming. But I will be going for it this summer. My primary doctor said for me to get a Speedo.

blessedtobealive50

How are you doing?

Past Member

Hello blessedtobealive50, I am not really a fan of swimming pools, but swimming is one of the best sports to practice. This is what I do: I use a girdle-swimsuit or tankini. My favorite brand is ORY because I like the patterns; they hide the irregular shapes of my scars and bag. http://www.cocoaonline.es/WebRoot/StoreLES/Shops/63294804/MediaGallery/catalogos/Catalogo_ORY_web_reducido.pdf I eat carrots or rice to control the waste, and I bring with me several extra wafers and bags. I also tape the wafer. If you have the chance to go to a friend's or family swimming pool, it could give you confidence. Take your time! Hope this helps.

blessedtobealive50