Having ileostomy reversal soon

Replies
Views
Past Member

Hello, my name is Daniel and I had an emergency ilestomy September 26 2023 because of a perforated bowel from diverticulitis.  

I am waiting for a call from the booking department for my reversal date and am extremely anxious.  It has been a very long and hard rd to get to where I am right now physically and mentally, but I feel alot better now and am getting along pretty well for the most part with my stoma . 

I'm nervous  to have the reversal because of the horror stories I've read online, and the fact that i went through hell after the first surgery and spent 6 weeks in hospital with blockage after blockage,  I had to dilate my stoma everyday with a 8 inch rod from a DnC kit my surgeon gave me just so waste would come out or my abdomen swelt up like a beach ball and i would have to get an NG tube over an over again, It was miserable. I just want to know that some part of this process isn't going to be a complete battle.

Can anyone share with me their experience? Regret the reversal or was it a positive experience.  

Thanks

CrappyColon

Hey Daniel, do you have any of your colon left? An ileostomy reversal is super different than a colostomy reversal especially if there is no colon left. My abdominal colon is gone, I had an ileostomy reversal to an ileorectal anastomosis … it’s different than a J-pouch which seems to be the more common one or maybe people just don’t like saying ileorectal anastomosis out loud?  it doesn’t phase me but everyone is different about stuff. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,626 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Reply to CrappyColon

They removed 2 feet of colon so I have 3 or so feet left. 

Mysterious Mose

Hi, Daniel. Great name, by the way! :-)

It would help to know if you still have your colon and how much of it is intact. That makes a big difference. Also, are you past the blockage issues?

I have an ileostomy, but I do not have any colon. I do have a mostly intact rectum. Personally, I decided against a reversal. Without a colon, the rectum becomes the only storage place and things come fast and furious. Although, things can be slowed by diet and things like loperamide. However, I would still be looking at always having to know where to find a toilet and the danger of night time incontinence. Plus, I am almost 76 years old, where you are 39. I probably would have opted differently had I been your age.

In looking at others' stories, you should keep in mind that everyone is different. Never is that more true than when you have an ostomy. One person's horror story may have no relevance to you. It all depends on how much stuff you have left and about a jillion other things wrapped up in being a living, breathing creature. I made my decision largely because of my age and the fact I have adapted well to my ostomy.

Daniel (as I said, great name! :-)

Past Member
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Hey there, it is a pretty great name eh. I had 2 feet of my colon removed so still have 3 feet or so. 

I am past all the blockage issues . It has been working great since Nov 3 of 2023. I have learned to live with it and my wife has been amazing through all of this but I have been going back and forth about this decision.  Their is nothing easy about living with a stoma as you know but I also don't miss the bowel problems I had before the life saving surgery which I don't have now. They removed all the diverticulitis.  

But I always come back to the fact that I want to be put back together assoon as I can but , the thought of accidents at night , the constant need for a toilet, the urgency makes me second guess myself. 

I haven't gone back to work yet because I run heavy equipment in a mine and don't have access to a bathroom just a Porta poty . It would be very inconvenient to me to have a bag at work and the worries and difficulty that come with it,  so I have been waiting on the reversal but I don't know at this point

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister