Experience with Convatec 2-piece stoma cap?

Replies
Views
nessy

I have a colostomy and have gone to irrigating daily now and have no need to wear an empty bag all day. Looking at trying stoma caps. I contacted Hollister and they are sending some 1-piece samples to try. Tried Convatec, all I got was the answering machine? Also sent them an email, awaiting their response.
So, has anyone tried or used the Convatec 2-piece stoma cap?

Cheers, Bob.

cee

I also have a colostomy and use the two-part Convatec system. I contacted them and got them to send samples of the cap and the mini pouch. I am unable to irrigate and found the cap is so small it holds nothing. I use the mini-pouch for intimacy and it works fine. I recently called them about a change in my stoma size and got a great deal of help and useful suggestions from the representative who answered the call. Keep trying!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,467 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

nessy

Thanks Cee, much appreciated, that's very helpful. I'll try Convatec for some samples. I prefer to stay with a 2-piece system (I think). I just saw the Stoma nurse and passed on a helpful tip for intimacy. See if I can explain, basically you push the bottom of your bag back up inside itself, does that make sense? It makes the bag 1/2 as big.

Cheers Bob
Past Member
Hi - I use Hollister Bag #18373 (new image) (2 pc system)-- it is the smallest bag they make. It took me a lot of samples until I lucked into this one. (It appears I have a short body between my stoma and my crotch).

Bob - do you irrigate every day? I thought we were only supposed to irrigate every other day.

Cee - you say you use a 'mini' pouch. Which company makes it and what is the stock number?

Thanks, everyone - NV Girl.
nesteka
Bob

I have the Convatec Cap (Item # 401909) with Filter. I recently tried the Convatec Closed End Mini Pouch (401531) and I like that better. To me, it is made of material so thin, it seems less bulky or something.
I have never called the manufacturer directly with any questions on products. I call my supply company who have trained CSRs who can recommend what you may need, and I can always get through to them. I use Edgepark, and so far they have not steered me wrong and take any items that may not be what I wanted back with no hassles.

Kim

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
sunnydisposition.
Hi, you need to order the Novo Mini Cap. It is like an oversized corn plaster (3 inches round). Make sure you use the Vitamin E release spray to keep the area of skin smooth and rash-free.
I have a colostomy and made a choice to wear this cap all the time rather than a pouch or a bag. It has never leaked and I have never had a problem with it. If you irrigate or if your output is quite solid and if you are prepared to keep on top of it, then it is the best way. I find them discreet and do not flap about. Good luck. My team of stoma nurses would not entertain the idea of irrigation for me as they said it could damage the bowel. I disagree and would have liked to have done this in terms of control. Still on the list for a reversal now, so fingers crossed it will not fail as I am told I am high risk due to having IBD.
cee
Dear NV Girl,
The mini-pouch is larger than a stoma cap...holds about a cup. Mine is made by Convatec called the "Closed-End Mini Pouch Sur-Fit Natura" and the model number is 401531.

Also, Nesteka, I also use Edgepark and have found them hit or miss in terms of call and response. Sometimes you get a person who seems to know the story and other times it sounds like someone hired yesterday. I have found the direct call to the manufacturer to be a better source of info. They also tend to be more generous in terms of samples.

Cee
southern bell

I have now been irrigating for 2 years and it is awesome!! I absolutely love and only use the AmPatch patches. They have so many different types and now with built-in filters.... These are the best EVER!!!!!! Check them out, you will love them!!

nessy

Thanks NV girl, I'm using the Hollister 18354, and it works great also, but just don't need a bag anymore since there's nothing to collect anymore, so a stoma cap is all I need.
I irrigate once a day, find that works best for me. I would hate not to have the irrigation and have to resort to the old way and all the associated problems.
Cheers, Bob.
nessy
Thanks Nesteka, I tried emailing ConvaTec, and still waiting. I'll try them again tomorrow. It would be nice to try the different products to see what works best for me.
Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Cheers, Bob
nessy
Thanks sunnydisposition, I tried googling novo mini cap? Would you have any more info on it, please?
Cheers, Bob.
nessy
Thank you, Mam! I plan on calling them in the morning and trying a sample of those. It sounds like they're just the ticket.
Much appreciated.
Cheers, Bob.
southern bell

Everyone, if you irrigate and have no output, you must try the Ampatch patches by Austin Medical. They are like an oversized bandaid with the built-in fabric filter, so low profile you cannot even see it through your underwear. They are the best patches ever!! They actually turned everything around for me because I was having a hard time finding something comfortable to wear that didn't irritate the skin! If you guys don't try them out, then you are really missing out!!!!

southern bell

Bob.... Make sure you tell them you want a sample of their newest patch with the built-in filter material...... They are the best. They are not plastic; it is a fabric material....... You don't have to worry about air blowing it up or anything.... They are great!!

nessy

Thanks Southern Bell, that's good to know, I'll be sure to ask.
Cheers Bob.

Sh@tHappens!
Hi Bob,

If you are looking for a stoma cap, you should also try Coloplast. They have one that is 1 or 2 piece in the Assura line that is very skin-friendly. I have also used the Convatec cap, and it is great on the skin, but I found that if you had any liquid late returns, it would leak right through the filter. So, not only did it leak poo-water, but it also leaked charcoal from the filter!!

Good luck!
Kellie
nessy

Thanks Kellie, that's good to know, I'll give them a try, much appreciated.

Cheers Bob

sunnydisposition.

Hi, it is the Dansac Nova reference 82920.
I got my date for the reversal on the 14th of November, only 4 weeks away. If it goes well, I shall have several boxes to give away.
Get in touch if you would like them.