How long until my stoma adjusts to irrigation?

Replies
Views
Angelicamarie

I went to see my ostomy nurse on the 21st of November who then proceeded to talk me through irrigating. I did ask about the pump as some of you had mentioned, but she said she did not know of a pump. So I have a sleeve. Well, once she found my spot, it started. But I was told to irrigate every two days. So far, it's been done four times. Sunday was the fourth time and more was released on Sunday. However, the question I have for you ostomates that are pros at this procedure is: how long will it take until my stoma gets the message? Because I still have output, will it always be like that?

angelicamarie

mild_mannered_super_hero
Irrigation flushes the colon, it doesn't flush the complete bowel. Your time between irrigation sessions will depend on how much and what types of food you eat. I suggest you eat a high protein, low fiber diet. Fiber is for folks that still have all their colon and the "bulk" keeps things moving. Ostomates don't need any help keeping things moving. Your system should learn to empty fairly quickly after a few sessions. If you are still having output, there could be two causes... you didn't completely flush the colon (you need more water) or you are eating high fiber foods and simply filling it back up too quickly. I avoid most grains and cereals, most fruits, and most veggies. Be advised, you may have to take a vitamin supplement to make up for the missing items in your diet. The good news is you can eat lots of high protein food most people are told to avoid: meat, cheese, eggs. I use the Atkins diet to maintain my weight, and it fits perfectly with my irrigation routine. Good luck, keep us posted on your progress. Don't give up!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,473 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill
Hello Angelicamarie.
Just to support what MMSH has said. Be patient and explore the procedure until you find what is right for you. In my case I almost always get an after-burst of output about an hour or so after the initial process has ceased. I cope with this by irrigating at night and making the sleeve into a temporary bag that I wear during sleep. This way I don't have to concern myself with it until morning when I empty it just like I would any other bag. The procedure works for me and I rarely ever have any output during the day and if there is, it is so small as to not have to worry about at all. I did have problems with not having enough water to flush the colon properly, but this was partly due to my hernia which made a lot of it spill out before it ever got into the colon. This was overcome by using a pump that I made up myself out of a 5litre garden sprayer but that's a wholly different story. Most people do not have the need for extra water or a pressure pump, so I would give it a go with the equipment provided first and if that isn't quite enough, then we can discuss moving on to other things later.
Best wishes
Bill
Angelicamarie

Bill, thanks for the info, because it seems like nothing is changing. I still have output, not a little either, but the nurse said it will take a while for the stoma to recognize what's happening. Thanks, friend, for responding!!!! To rookie in irrigating, Angelica Marie.

Angelicamarie

Thanks, mild-mannered superhero. I do take vitamins because I can't seem to hold weight. I only weigh 109. I don't eat vegetables but eat a lot of fish. But I'm not giving up. I will continue to try, perhaps it will get better because each time more is coming. The only thing is, afterwards I still have output. It's early yet, so I'm going to hang in there. Thanks, angelicamarie.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Angelicamarie

Bill and mild-mannered superhero: Re: a rookie in irrigating. Well, I did it last night, which was the 6th time. After using the initial water, it didn't seem like it did the trick, so I added a little more soap and water. And I got more output than I had gotten. I pray I didn't harm anything, but all night until about 3:30 am was when I saw I needed to empty, but not a lot, so it seems to be getting better. Okay, guys, just wanted to tell you!!! - Angelica Marie

mild_mannered_super_hero

How much water do you use? I use 1.5 liters. Have you tried irrigating early mornings when your stomach is empty? That seems to work best for me. If you stick with it and try new approaches, you will find out exactly what works best for you. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Angelicamarie

It was about 4:00 am when I did it. Do you do it the same time every day? Mild-mannered superhero? Angelica Marie

mild_mannered_super_hero
yes, i irrigate every 2 days as soon as i wake, some time around 5:30-6:00 am
jmagnus1

Hi! I have had my colostomy since 2009. I started irrigating as soon as my surgeon said it was okay. I irrigate every 2-3 days depending on what I have eaten. I usually do it in the evening. I put in about 1.5 liters of water and then lay down on my left side. The process takes about one hour. I never have anything in the bag. I think time and experimenting will help you to find what works best for you. Irrigating has given me some semblance of a normal life. I wish you the best!

Angelicamarie

Thanks for the info jmagnus1, and thanks for responding. Have a great day!!!! Angel