Nausea after ischemic bowel operation

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Madmama

Hi, I'm only a few months into having my stoma and I only have my small intestines left after three emergency operations. I am struggling with drinking enough fluids and eating. Anyone else had these problems and how long did it take to get back to some sort of normality?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Tickpol

Madam,

Like you, I don't absorb fluids very well. I supplement with a liter of lactated ringers through my PICC line every day. I just bought "DripDrop" which is an ORS mix you add to water. I haven't tried it yet, so I don't have an opinion on it yet.

There are a number of posts on this subject already. I'm sure Bob will chime in, but in the meantime, you might want to look at what he posted on those posts.

Dave

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

I have had 3 emergency surgeries, one being an ischemic bowel, having my colon removed and most of my large intestine removed (5 months ago), leaving me with a permanent ileostomy.
I know it will eventually get better (everyone says), but I lived on a bland boring diet, just H2O for 3 months. That part did get better.
So best of luck, eating does get easier!

Unfortunately, a lot of time and patience-